Emergency! Need a new Mobo ASAP! [Sandy Bridge Problem]

achan070

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

we are not going to wait until april for them to get the fixed mobos out. thats why im looking for a replacement mobo now

arc00ta

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I'm waiting on mine to go as well. Its seems to be performing well for now, so who knows how long it will take. Its my understanding that there aren't any boards out right now that are unaffected.

Contact Intel since yours is a mobo made by them ^^

From the horses' mouth
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm
For computer makers and other Intel customers that have bought potentially affected chipsets or systems, Intel will work with its OEM partners to accept the return of the affected chipsets, and plans to support modifications or replacements needed on motherboards or systems.

Azhrei

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Um, if your system isn't working, there is absolutely no way it could be related to the current Sandy Bridge issue all over the place. The issue will not crop up in every board (only 5% - 15%) and will ONLY occur after a few years.

Now, your mobo might be faulty, but that's not a chipset issue. And, because all of the stock has been pulled, as every motherboard has the fault, yes, you will have to wait. But seriously, what proof do you have that hte mobo is the problem?

Please, first, check you plugged everything in right, then, if it still doesn't work, test the individual parts (what you can) in other computers.

Also, by "doesn't work", what do you mean? Doesn't turn on? Turns on but doesn't boot? Won't detect certain parts? There is more likely an immediate issue which can be solved.

achan070

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

comp doesnt turn on. he had his tech friend look at it and he concluded that it was bad mobo or chip

Azhrei

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Uh. A socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge) CPU will NOT work in a socket 1156 board. You'll just break them both if you try.

Now, how did the tech friend fellow determine this was the issue? Do you know somebody else with a Sandy Bridge platform you can use to test the mobo and CPU in question? Have you got another power supply you can try in your system?

If yoy can't/won't test, best to contact intel and get things RMAd.

4745454b

Titan
Its not the motherboard issue. Take it apart and follow normal diagnostic procedures. To prove that its not the board, put the drive on the SATA 3 port. I'll bet it still won't power up.

Yes, all 1155 boards will have this issue. Not sure why your looking at 1156 boards.

Edit: I wonder if the problem is he already bought an 1156 board and put his 1155 CPU in?

achan070

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

the build is up there u can see what board it is. it is compatible with 1155

damn i still dontk now what to do. what do you guys suggest him do now? hes planning on trying to return it for a newer one, but didnt they pull all of the mobos out? u cant get it anymore right

arc00ta

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Theres piles of them at Fry's where I got one today. You should be able to get one.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah you may be lucky and find someone that will replace it. They likely will stop selling them but may be able to swap out a DOA considering you have already purchased a faulty model.

Once you have the new mobo if you get it then just be sure to plug in the HDD and SSD and DVD (less important) into the SATA 6gb/s ports as that will bypass the fault with the boards (SATA 3gb/s devices can work through a 6gb/s so should be no issue)

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010

I am aware of that, however, this seems to have been a case of 'skip to the end' obviously if the board was not at fault he will either be getting a new mobo for nothing or will be charged for them identifying the board is fine. That is his call to do if he cannot do the thorough testing himself first.