Sign in with
Your question

Cord to connect computer to tv

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2010 8:16:24 PM

Is there a cord that transfers video and sound from the computer to a tv? I know of the s-video cord but is there another way that will make it look better without having a VGA port on my tv (or a hdmi)? If its not just one cord could someone show me what will work?

Thanks in advance!

More about : cord connect computer

a b x TV
December 3, 2010 10:11:08 PM

Might help if we knew what outputs you have available from your PC and what inputs you have available on your TV. There are plenty of adapters available on the market. It's just a matter of changing your PC output to your TV's input.

For example: This DVI to Component Cable

-Wolf sends
m
l
December 4, 2010 9:08:45 PM

the only connector that i have on my tv is svideo, Is there a type of converter for the composite cord to computer?
m
l
Related resources
a b x TV
December 5, 2010 12:50:08 AM

Again, there are plenty of adapters available online, but we need to know exactly what you have available in the way of connections before we can make a recommendation. If your TV only has S-Video, then why are you concerned about composite cords?

If you can tell us the make and model of your TV as well as the make and model of your PC's graphics card, that would help as well.

-Wolf sends
m
l
December 6, 2010 7:46:08 PM

I have 2 DVI ports on my graphics card along with one S-Video port. On my tv i have 1 s-video port and multiple composite. Is s-video better quality than composite? (By composite i mean Yellow, White, Red......Not Red, Green, and Blue)
m
l
a b x TV
December 6, 2010 10:30:11 PM

Yes. S-Video is better than composite (Yellow and Red, White for audio), but not as good as Component (Red, Green, Blue and Red, White for audio). If your TV has an S-Video port available, I'd just use that, directly connected from your PC. Otherwise, use the S-Video to Composite adapter cable. You will need to run a separate cable for audio.

-Wolf sends
m
l
December 7, 2010 12:50:28 AM

Is the composite for HD? or just if you have that port it will work?

Thanks!
m
l
a b x TV
December 7, 2010 2:18:45 AM

No. It's not for HD. It's only there if you have that type of connection. The only HD capable ports on TVs are DVI (rare), HDMI, and Component.

-Wolf sends
m
l
!