Issue with new upgrade

cartag

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I received a new video card in the mail tonight from Newegg, a Sapphire HD6870 and it will not boot when in my system. My current card is a GTX 260.

Foxconn A79A-S
8 GB OCZ Platinum PC1066 memory

When booting on my system, I get two quick post beeps followed by eight spaced out beeps (display memory error). The error code on the mobo shows 2E, which according to the following link is when it initializes output devices. The system will respond to a Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, but that is all.
http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBIOS8_Checkpoint_and_Beep_Code_List_PUB.pdf

At this point I would normally assume the issue is with the card, but I'm building a computer for my girlfriend and the card works in that computer just fine. She will be getting the GTX260 once I get this one working, but I'm at a loss.

So far I've done all the steps in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Past that, the following have been done:

1. Tried every configuration I could in the BIOS after swapping out to the old video card to see what I was looking at, powering down, then putting in the new card to try again.
2. Cleared CMOS
3. Tried another PCI-E slot on mobo. I have tried two others, same issue.

One theory I had was that the video card is going from 896 MB of memory to 1 GB. Short of that though, I am out of ideas. Can anybody think of anything I might have missed? Sorry if I didn't include enough info at first.

Solution
What PSU do you have; brand and model, not just wattage? Are BOTH PCIE power cables plugged in to it?
Also, did you remove the nVidia drivers before installing it?

cartag

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
ABS PSU, 800 watts
Both PCIE power cables are plugged into it

The drivers won't matter as it doesn't get past POST. If it were getting past that and not booting it would be an issue, but at the stage it is now, it wouldn't have any affect.

cartag

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Just remembered there is a quick boot option in my BIOS. Disabled it so it will run all tests, plugged in the other card, tried booting... no dice.

Back to using the old video card again. At what point do I throw in the towel and just call the hardware incompatible?

cartag

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Mine:
Foxconn A79A-S mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 940
4x2GB OCZ Platinum 1066
ABS 800W PSU
Generic 1TB HDD
Generic 24x DVD+-R

Hers
ASROCK M3A770DE
Athlon II X3 445
2x2GB OCZ Gold 1600
Generic 550W PSU, came with case
Generic 1TB HDD
Generic 24x DVD+-R

Ok, I'm seeing at least two 800W PSU branded by ABS, which one do you have?
And just for shits and giggles, see what happens when you swap PSUs with your girlfriend.

Scenario 1: Swap PSUs and keep 6870 installed on your mobo. What isthe result?

Scenario 2: With the PSUs still swapped, install the 6870 into your girlfriends mobo. What is the result?

Hmmm, I would not use a generic "came with a case" PSU for a card that powerful. I'm not familiar with your ABS model. It is 80+ certified, which is promising (it was tested at 100% load, although unrealistically cool), but it may still be the problem.
Right now some of the Antec Truepower New PSUs have reduced prices at Newegg. One of those would be a good choice.

cartag

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
The PSU was the issue. I have a spare system here I was just using as a media server that can be down for a few days while I contact ABS about warranty info.

Thanks for the help everybody!