Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

16 bit Orinoco pc card questions

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 13, 2005 8:46:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hey All,

I've got an ancient laptop that I figure I'll switch over to linux and
use it as a wifi client. The card slots are 16bit - not 32 bit
cardbus.

These 2 cards seem to be 16bit and 11b only. Anybody have any
comments on either? I'm not planning on being a very demanding user.
I'd rather have an easy time finding good drivers rather than getting
the fastest possible connection so I'll probably go with the 8410 and
save $7.

ORiNOCO 11b Classic PC Card Gold (8410-WD) $30
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=454004
claims "widest operating system support"

ORiNOCO 11b Client PC Card Gold (8420-WD) $37
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=452667
has an external antenna jack.

Thanks

Jay
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 8:46:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) writes:
> These 2 cards seem to be 16bit and 11b only. Anybody have any
> comments on either? I'm not planning on being a very demanding user.

They're popular enough cards. I'm using a Netgear 411-something(?)
that uses the same chipset. I got it for $10 used.

The O'reilly book "Linux Unwired" is pretty good about this stuff.
March 13, 2005 9:30:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) writes:
>> These 2 cards seem to be 16bit and 11b only. Anybody have any
>> comments on either? I'm not planning on being a very demanding user.
>
>They're popular enough cards. I'm using a Netgear 411-something(?)
>that uses the same chipset. I got it for $10 used.

Netgear FA411 evidently - thanks for the lead above and below!

>The O'reilly book "Linux Unwired" is pretty good about this stuff.
Related resources
March 13, 2005 9:48:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) wrote:

>Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>
>>jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) writes:
>>> These 2 cards seem to be 16bit and 11b only. Anybody have any
>>> comments on either? I'm not planning on being a very demanding user.
>>
>>They're popular enough cards. I'm using a Netgear 411-something(?)
>>that uses the same chipset. I got it for $10 used.
>
>Netgear FA411 evidently - thanks for the lead above and below!
>
>>The O'reilly book "Linux Unwired" is pretty good about this stuff.


Oops, fa411 is a 10/100 ether card, the MA401 is the 16bit wifi B
card
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 9:48:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) writes:
> Oops, fa411 is a 10/100 ether card, the MA401 is the 16bit wifi B card

Yeah, that's what I have.
March 13, 2005 9:50:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) wrote:

>Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>
>>jayjayjpg@nadasppam-yahoo.com (JJ) writes:
>>> These 2 cards seem to be 16bit and 11b only. Anybody have any
>>> comments on either? I'm not planning on being a very demanding user.

I might go for a 3com if I can find one 3CRSHPW196 - it has a
retractable xjack antenna so I can just leave the card in the slot all
the time.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=prods...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 2:23:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

JJ wrote:
>
> I might go for a 3com if I can find one 3CRSHPW196 - it has a
> retractable xjack antenna so I can just leave the card in the slot all
> the time.

I use these by the ton. You can find them on eBay sometimes for ~$20 - $25.

Don't expect the best range for them, but they're very convenient as they
don't need to be removed simply to put your laptop in it's case.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 14, 2005 2:23:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> writes:
> > I might go for a 3com if I can find one 3CRSHPW196 - it has a
> > retractable xjack antenna so I can just leave the card in the slot all
> > the time.
>
> I use these by the ton. You can find them on eBay sometimes for ~$20 - $25.

Do you know if they use the Orinoco chip?
!