General Question: AMD or Intel?

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I hope this is the correct place for this post.

I was convinced to buy a new Sandy Bridge computer last month, and I go to look at prices again yesterday and found out they are no longer up for sale due to a defect.

So, here I am, back where I started. Do I go with Intel or AMD?

My starting point is this, XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Linky on NewEgg

Right now my system is bottlenecked at the CPU (according to the guys in TH in the Video Card forums) when I asked them about that card.

Here I am almost 1 year to the day when I bought that video card and now that I'm getting my tax refund within 8-10 days, I'm trying to piece together my new parts.

I'm not a serious gamer, but looking for a system that will let me play with settingson high. I play WoW (who doesn't? lol), Mass Effect 1,2 and when it comes out 3.

My budget is $350 for the Mobo, CPU & RAM -- yes, I can go a little over, but would like to stay on budget
I will also need a case, a dvd burner, the one I currently has no longer burns, just reads, but I found one on newegg for $19+7($26) shipping.

Please help.

Solution
With no overclocking the stock fan is just fine.
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 is an excellent choice in MB.
On that list of RAM I like the first G.Skill Ripjaws kit. Mainly on the basis of the excellent customer reviews and it's choice in the Forums recommended build lists.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Right now, an OCZ 700w StealthXstream.

That being said, it's failed on me, and currently undergoing RMA. I may upgrade that as well, but that would be additional to the 350 budget.

EDIT:
The guys in the PSU section said the problem with my PSU is probably on my end and not the PSU itself. That being said, should I get this? Cheapest I found, even chaper than NewEgg if you count the shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-12-Outlet-Protector-Ethernet-Protection/dp/B000HPX46U/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

How is this?

Mobo & CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 & 2. GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX Combo is 314.98

I can't decide on the RAM. Would like to get 2x4gb if possible, I know with the above combo it will be over my 350 budget. I don't know which brands are good, or even what models within those brands except for G.SKill Ripjaws. Seems everyone is recomending them to me.
I looked for ram with the following criteria*yes, only 4gb as the 8's were more than I was wanting to go over. *** Link ***
Type : 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM3_. (x) >
Speed : DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)4_. (x) >
Multi-channel Kit : Dual Channel Kit5_. (x) >
Capacity : 4GB (2 x 2GB)6_. (x) >
Cas Latency : 7 (x)

EDIT:
Decided on this RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $54.99 Free Shipping

With no overclocking the stock fan is just fine.
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 is an excellent choice in MB.
On that list of RAM I like the first G.Skill Ripjaws kit. Mainly on the basis of the excellent customer reviews and it's choice in the Forums recommended build lists.

Solution