Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GeForce 6600GT Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2010 9:29:05 PM

I recently had to re-install Windows XP; which amongst the re-installing of software and all sorts of other hiccups also gave me the following situation;

I downloaded and installed the driver for my Nvidia GeForce 6600GT graphics card from their website and installed it - but when I go to my preferred resolution of 1280 x 720 everything seems to bunch up to the left-hand side of the screen and I get the sort of text indicating a display issue (that choppy, horrid 'Windows-type' look if that makes any sense.) I get the same horrid appearance on other resolutions too.

So I uninstalled the driver... which allows me to view 1280 x 720 resolution perfectly but gives me the shuddering scrolling effect...

Please can somebody help be solve this problem???

Thanks,
Nath
a b Î Nvidia
December 3, 2010 9:32:56 PM

Inspect the card for any damage such as a bad fan or failed capacitors. Clean the card if there is any dust and once done try the latest drive from Nvidia and not the manufacture.
December 3, 2010 9:41:00 PM

There doesnt appear to be any damage to the card.
Driver was the latest Nvidia driver for that card/card series
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
December 3, 2010 11:32:39 PM

Did you clean any dust if there was any? Try a older driver and see then. Is it pci-e or agp?
December 4, 2010 12:54:00 PM

It is PCI-E

Where can I get an older driver? I've tried the 6600GT driver and also a 'Standard VGA Driver' from Nvidia, both of which had the same effect.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 4, 2010 1:04:48 PM

killingzeasy said:
It is PCI-E

Where can I get an older driver? I've tried the 6600GT driver and also a 'Standard VGA Driver' from Nvidia, both of which had the same effect.

The Nvidia site has the older drivers back to the 186's.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
December 4, 2010 1:14:58 PM

And which drivers should I be trying??
a c 171 Î Nvidia
December 4, 2010 1:17:15 PM

killingzeasy said:
And which drivers should I be trying??

Go from the oldest (186.) and work forward but if the 186's give you the same problem then it may be that the card has gone kaput.
!