Sign in with
Your question

ATI HD 4800 Series Overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
December 3, 2010 11:16:58 PM

Hello.
I just like some advice on if I should place new thermal paste on my graphic's card's heatsink. My graphics card has been steadily going up in temperature since a few months ago. Actually, the GPU's fan has been making sound, that "rrrrrr" noise. It's on and off, but I feel like the fan has gotten less efficient at cooling the GPU down.
It used to be able to keep it at 60 under load, now its going at 80 and doing that "electro-jabbawhatwhat". It's bad that's all I know lol. I had to clock back to standard settings to keep the card at 63.
My graphic's card is ATI Radeon HD 4800 series. It doesn't tell me which of the 4800 series, it just says 4800 series. I've tried multiple programs to find out what is it. I've been trying to replace my fan, but I haven't been able to find a new one. So instead I'm asking about thermal paste.
Or if there is any way to get a new fan, or cool my GPU anymore. Much appreciated.

- Matt
December 3, 2010 11:23:22 PM

You should be able to tell what card you have based on the original clock speed. If that fails, look it up in device manager or try gpu-z.
You could check for dust inside the case, use some compressed air to blow it out, check to see if the heatsink is coming off the pcb. 80 is not a bad temperature for those cards, but if it's risen that far already it probably won't stop unless you fix the problem.
m
l
December 3, 2010 11:35:43 PM

Hmm thermal issues, a card can still overheat and become unstable if other components other than the gpu. Go ahead with the new compound as most stock compounds quickly degrade after a few months of use. Second blast away any dust there is in the cooler and you can take a small brush to rub away the dust the fan (be easy on it) and then you can run it at more comfortable speeds.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
December 3, 2010 11:52:24 PM

Thanks, I'll come back with results.
I'll try replacing the thermal.

Also, I've used Gpu-Z. Still says HD-4800 series. However, I've done what you asked and I checked all the cards for the
GPU standard clock settings: at 750 mHz
and
Memmory clock setting at: 900 mHz

None of the cards match it. If you could help me find my card, you'd be a real big help.

Forgot to mentioned I cleaned the inside thorougly a week ago with compressed air.
m
l
!