GTX 460 PSU Connections

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

I bought an Nvidia GTX 460 graphics card for my new comp and it's the first time I've had a graphics card with PSU connectors. The card has 4 x PSU connectors and my PSU does have four spare plugs but two of them are on the same cable as the SATA plugs for the hard drive and DVD drive while the other two are on their own so I've plugged in the latter two and it works fine.

However, should I plug the other two in or will it drain power from the hard drive/DVD drive and reduce hard disk performance? Will it make any difference to graphics performance if all four are plugged in compared to just two? Is it OK to plug them in or could it cause damage in some way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
The GPU is an Nvidia GTX 460 and the PSU is a "Black King Kong 2.0 SATA x 2 620W".

I use it for heavy duty games and the graphics card says it needs at least 450W so I think it needs as much power as possible. If it only needs one 4-pin plug then why do they put four on it? Seems excessive to say the least!

Thanks for trying to help.

There are many GTX 460 ( but yes a missed the Nvidia GTX 460 in the post )

Sorry I got mixed up with the HD 6850 ct1615 would be right ( My BAD )

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Sorry for my delayed response, work problems took over...

No, it's definitely the PSU that is called a Black King Kong since I bought it to replace the pathetic 250W unit that HP put in the p6585l i5 PC I bought which couldn't power a mouse and I typed it straight off the box.

I have to clarify that I run an ecolodge in rural Laos so products here may not be the same as the ones available in the West since there are a lot of copies of stuff coming over from China with any old brand name on them!

Anyway, the GTX 460 I bought is called a "Sparkle" and it has two square 4-pin sockets (2 on the top 2 on the bottom) on the back of it and came with two cables each with the necessary square 4-pin plug (2 on the top 2 on the bottom) and each with TWO 4-pins-in-a-row plugs (like the old power connectors for hard drives before SATA came along) coming out the back of them.

So I basically have four of the 4-pins-in-a-row plugs to connect up to the PSU. The PSU itself has two individual cable bundles with 4-pins-in-a-row connectors on each plus two other cable bundles each with a SATA connector and a 4-pins-in-a-row on them.

So basically I have enough connectors to plug in all four of the ones coming out of the back of the graphics card but I don't know if plugging in the ones which are also plugged into the hard drive and DVD drive via the SATA connectors would affect hard drive or DVD drive performance by taking power away from them.

I currently have the two lone 4-pins-in-a-row connectors plugged into the graphics card, one to each of the 4-pin square sockets, and it works OK but does still crash sometimes which can be annoying at certain stages in games so I was wondering if plugging in the other two might help.

I hope that makes sense and thanks for any advice!