Which is the better choice between these two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I'm trying to find the best and most afforadable motherboard for a low-end 'gaming' machine.

I've looked at these two motherboards, but cannot determine if one is better and/or more versatile and "future-proofed", etc.

MSI 990FXA-GD80 AMD 9 Series AM3+ Motherboard - This one is on Tigerdirect.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=612928&csid=_21

The following board has had good reviews here on THG in the past.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX - This one is on newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736&Tpk=Asus%20SABERTOOTH%20990FX

Notes: I'm planning on purchasing an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, CPU to use in either motherboard. I'm also going to use my Western Digital 500GB (Black Edition) HDD. SATA, Model: WD5002AALX. I'm hoping these parts are compatible with either of the two motherboards.

Suggestions appreciated.

Solution

Asus sabertooth its a capable mobo to unlock the 960T to 6cores. U just need to go into bios and manualy enable 5 and 6 core . From Disable -> Enable . Restart 2 times the pc and here u have it . Than u can play with OC :D. U have a lot of reviews on the net how to Oclock it .

www.overclock.net/t/1070723/my-new-960t-unlocked-to-a-x6-1600t (write this on google cuz my pc is...

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I have also favored Asus boards, but in the many years that have passed since I last bought one, much has changed in the world. I'm overwhelmed, now, and everything I read seems to have complicated exceptions, etc. Way to technical for me. I guess my main concerns related to quality (components/capacitor types and mfg's), limited upgradability, product support including BIOS updates, and more (that I can't even think of now).

Thanks "sosofm" for your reply! I'll wait and see what others may add.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I just read (on newegg) about the 960T. It states that it's a "Quad Core". What is required to unlock it? I'm not at all familiar with the 960T, and "unlocking", etc. And, will there be any advantage to me in having 6 cores over 4 cores? When would they come into play, as an advantage to me?

Thanks for suggesting the Sabertooth. That's one checkmark for it!

prototype18

Distinguished

Asus sabertooth its a capable mobo to unlock the 960T to 6cores. U just need to go into bios and manualy enable 5 and 6 core . From Disable -> Enable . Restart 2 times the pc and here u have it . Than u can play with OC :D. U have a lot of reviews on the net how to Oclock it .

www.overclock.net/t/1070723/my-new-960t-unlocked-to-a-x6-1600t (write this on google cuz my pc is having bad days and dsnt open it :p ..but i read it via blackberry and was a super post showin 960T Performance . Usually games use 4 cores few games use 6 but 6 cores gives benefits on multitasking and with OC they get to high and cooler to :)

Solution

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Can you guarantee that the 'unlocking' process will work to allow all 6 cores to be utilized? I've read that IT IS A GAMBLE AS TO WHETHER CORES ARE UNLOCKED OR NOT. I hate the idea that I have to play the "lottery" after I've paid for a product. In my opinion, AMD/ASUS should --always-- unlock the cores, so that we do not have to GAMBLE on probabilities, or possibilites!

prototype18, how do you know (personally) that I can unlock all 6 cores with guaranteed success?

prototype18

Distinguished
Cuz i build a system with 960t and 990fx extreme 3 some months ago for a cousin ! And he is more than happy with that ! I unlocked to 6 cores and max temp to 51C.

There is a chance that a core might be faulty but 100% u get +1 core and hopefully to 6 cores ! And even if u dont want to unlock it still will be better than 955 BE .

Just get a aftermarket CPU Cooler like hyper 212+ and here u go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS