Sign in with
Your question

CPU is acting funny after a fresh install of windows?

Last response: in CPUs
May 1, 2011 7:09:30 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up. I have all of my drivers, my overclocking is exactly the same (obviously that wouldn't change the BIOS), I have all of my motherboard drivers.

Forsome reason my CPU is doing much worse on benchmarks, I'd say about 5 percent or so, and It's a LOT warmer, like 10C. As well, SpeedFan doesn't correctly aquire my core temps like it used to. Core 0 and 1 are correct (they match RealTemp and CoreTemp's temps), but 2 and 3 are recording at being way lower.

Now this usually wouldn't be a problem, however I use Rainmeter as a desktop addon, and the only tempurature recording software it utilizes is SpeedFan, which never didn't work for me in the past.

So there are some funky things going on with my CPU, I'm not sure what to do. I didn't format my HDD before I installed windows (long story but installing Windows wasn't something I WANTED to do.. I had to). I just overwrote the old windows that was on there. Thats the only thing I could think of that might screw something up?
May 2, 2011 8:31:26 AM

if possible the best course of action is to backup your stuff now and wipe it clean then reinstall and see if the problem persists or not. If it does check and see if your hs/fan has come loose or has been moved at all... might not be seated properly and could be causing excess pressure on one side of it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2011 2:14:29 PM

Helltech said:
I didn't format my HDD before I installed windows...I just overwrote the old windows that was on there. Thats the only thing I could think of that might screw something up?
Agreed, as mentioned, a back up and fresh install may be in order. Who knows what was changed as a result of just over writing the windows system files.
m
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
May 2, 2011 10:13:48 PM

Why did you 'have to' do a fresh install of windows? Could it be what ever caused that problem is also causing this one?
m
l
May 10, 2011 12:04:25 AM

I could link to the post in the GPU section, but even the mods over there told me it was the last course of actions. Basically the drivers screwwed up my SLI, it wasn't a hardware issue (tested that first), reverting to older drivers didn't help, driver sweper and using over older drivers didn't work. System restore to before the rdirvers were installed didn't work, but reinstalling windows did. So yeah.. it was basically all there was left to do... and now SLI worked so.

EDIT - Here is the link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315313-33-working-dri...
m
l
!