January 5, 2012 5:45:30 PM

I'm currently running a:

M3A78-T Mother board
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor
ATI radeon HD 3300 integrated video card
3 gigs of ram
With a 500watt power supply
On windows XP Professional Ver. 2002 Service Pack 3

My question is if its compatible or able to use an: Nvidia Geforce GT440 IG8 DDR3 graphics card.

And if it is compatible is there a specific way to hook it up? Because plugging it in results in both the integrated card and that card giving me no input signal :/  any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 198 V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 6:27:36 PM

Plugging in any discrete/stand alone video card is going to disable the on-board/integrated video card. In other words, you can use one or the other with this set up.

There are hybrid crossfire options, but not with an ATI on-board GPU and an discrete Nvidia GPU.

Your best bet is to just go with one or the other, I recommend the stand alone card. Performance will be much better than the on-board solution.
January 5, 2012 6:34:35 PM

Oh, I'm not trying to do an hybrid crossfire set ups, I was just trying to get the stand alone video card to run.

If it disables the integrated video card automatically then what problem am I having? Either way if I have the GT440 on my motherboard I cant get an input signal on my monitor. :/ 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 198 V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 6:41:33 PM

Could be a couple things. First, make sure that when the Nvidia is installed, that you connect the monitor to it, not the on board video connector (not to insult you, but I have seen odder things).

Second, are you sure the Nvidia GPU actually works? Do you have access to another working system you could check it in?

January 5, 2012 7:01:15 PM

Yeah it has been plugged into the video card, and I thought I would try the integrated card just to see if I could maybe install the drivers for the other card but yeah obviously that wasn't going to happen.

And I'm afraid I don't have another computer to test it, or I should say that is able to run it, the fan turns on and everything seems to work fine I just don't get any video to the monitor.

But if you're telling me it shouldn't have a problem working with this motherboard then I'll probably return it with in the week, I have 30 days to do so, so no worries.
And thanks a lot for the help. I'm gonna keep fiddling with things and see if anything changes.
!