Computer crashes with 16gb of RAM, but not 12gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkinsbass

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello,
I ran the Windows memory test with all 16gb and it reported a hardware error. I tested each stick individually twice and came up with no errors. I tried different slots with no problems, I tested two at a time with no problems and three at a time with no problems. It's only when I have all four sticks in that the memory test finds a hardware error (and my computer crashes randomly). I'm not sure what's going on or how to fix it.
My specs:
mobo: Biostar TA880GU3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 4gb a piece
Thanks for the help.

Solution
The 1100T has a DDR3 1333Mhz controller. If you are running the ram at 1600Mhz, then its overclocked so that may be an issue. If thats the case, just downclock your ram.

It looks like on the approved mobo list, the only 4GB stick thats recommended is a gskill 1333Mhz:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=522

So again that just points to the board not really able to accept 16Gb at abopve 1333Mhz speed. It may not even support 16GB of that particular ram. Always check the motherboard approved memory list before purchasing memory.
The 1100T has a DDR3 1333Mhz controller. If you are running the ram at 1600Mhz, then its overclocked so that may be an issue. If thats the case, just downclock your ram.

It looks like on the approved mobo list, the only 4GB stick thats recommended is a gskill 1333Mhz:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=522

So again that just points to the board not really able to accept 16Gb at abopve 1333Mhz speed. It may not even support 16GB of that particular ram. Always check the motherboard approved memory list before purchasing memory.

Solution

melkinsbass

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
As to what the error is, I wrote it down when the BSOD showed up, but I left it at home; I'll post that when I get home tonight.
I didn't change the speed of the ram.
Buzznut: Thank you for pointing that out. I thought everything I bought was compatible, but in my Black Friday purchasing furor I obviously made an oversight. I'm going to try downclocking the ram. We'll see if that works.
Thanks for the input so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.