Cant figure out what's wrong

arrow203

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Okay so here it goes, I've had this PC for about 6 months, I bought most of the components from a friend and I saw everything work before I bought it. The only 3 things I had to buy were the PSU the case and the HDD. When I first got everything plugged up I set it up formatted and installed windows 7, ran updates and it required a reboot, so I rebooted it and it shut off and turned back on and nothing came up.. i did a power drain (pulled power plug and drained the remaining power out of the PSU) and it worked fine.. But from there on out everytime i tried to do a restart or shutdown I had to re drain the remaining power out of the PSU before it would boot up properly. This system is not overclocked or anything. Well here about a week ago i come home and apprently it had been rebooted so it was on but nothing was active except the fans on everything so i did a power drain and turned it on and the second i turn it on it cuts off waits 3 or 4 secs then cuts back on it goes through the post stage and it starts to load windows i could see some pixilations happening while it was loading then it just went all black and nothing showed.. Now I cant even get the PC to work for more than a couple of mins even in the bios I've tried removing 1 stick of ram and all of the additional PCI cards, i've checked the thermal paste on my CPU and GPU cleaned them with alcohol and reapplyed the thermal paste but no matter what I do I cant seem to keep it going for more than a couple mins at a time. The temp readings I have in my bios are reading properly and everything. WHAT is going on?? T_T

Welcome, Newcomer. This sounds like a bad PSU. Is it possible to borrow your friends PSU to test in your rig? If not, see if you can either:
1. Get your hands on a digital multimeter to test the P1 connector, while the system is powered on; or
2. See if you can get a known-working PSU to test with.

arrow203

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Okay well get this... I followed the link in your sig after i posted this i found you posted in another thread and i completly took apart my entire rig and put it back together and for some reason it booted up completly into windows and it worked just fine for about 10 mins then boom it started doing it again *sigh*...

Edit: I'm going to take my rig over to my brothers house and use his PSU, I'll post back here with the results, you've helped me alot and I appreciate it.