16 gb RAM in a 6 dimm motherboard

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I made a fail mistake, and did not pay attention when I purchased my ram. This is the first time I've ordered ram without thinking apparently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231456

I have a Asus P6X58D motherboard. I bought quad channel memory without paying attention, I only have 6 DIMM's. 3 channels. I looked into that I could run ram as 2 dual memory dimms. However, my motherboard only allows for XMP and 1600 ram for 1 DIMM per channel.

cwrM

So I assumed I could use A1 and B1 for 2 of the sticks and A2 and B2 and run all 16gb. The only issue is that the manual states,

"Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P DIMMs and DDR-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

Does this actually mean that I can only run 3 of those sticks only? I was trying to figure if I could split the ram into two parts but If I do that the computer will power and go into windows (I can hear the sound) but the screens stay black.

I'm thinking I should just return my ram to newegg and buy different pair? (I have read this in serveral places and a question for concern, but I haven't found a work around except to lower my frequency to 1333 which I will not do)

1) The ram controller on your cpu and X58 motherboard are very efficient. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram without slowing it down.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/1

2) You will get more benefit from 16gb of ram at 1333 than backing off to 12gb at 1600.

3) If I am not mistaken, when you install the first three sticks, one in each channel they will operate in triple channel mode. The odd stick will operate on single channel mode.
The motherboard manual should advise you exactly where the odd stick should go.

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I actually did that specifically, but the computer does not like it when I do that. It ends up trying to post 2-3 times then it'll post and the RAM LED will be bright red and the bios will not show 16gb or the screen is black when loading and I cannot see anything. (I've been considering that my video card is starting to die on me)

Currently, I have three sticks in at 12 gb at 1600 but I had to manually adjust the timing before it was stable.

cwWo

I was testing ram at 1066 frequency when just starting the computer and it still caused problems. So I'm unsure what to do at this point.

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
*UPDATE*

Okay so I just said, I'll give it another shot. I added the stick again like the image shows. it booted first time and detected it. It would not do this before, I'm unsure why.

Surprisingly, the frequency is set at 1600 at the moment for 16gb also.

Should I run memtest to test this?

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
*UPDATE 2*

I was looking at my ram voltages at 1600 and it cranked them all the way up to 1.8v from 1.5. I was messing with the settings and eventually just used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and it had an option to use my ram at the intended use (some how it detected the timing and speeds) and I increased the frequency to 1867 MHz and its running stable at 1.5v.

Just tell me this is normal or it is okay. (proposed is the settings I'm currently using)
cx4b

First, don't use XMP in your situation and instead manually set the RAM; see below. In addition, please refer to the DIMM installation chart (Four Modules) with (2) choices -- I prefer the second on the bottom:
DDR3_GA.jpg

DDR3-1866 9-10-9-[strike]28[/strike]-29-2N @ 1.50v ; F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

note: Typically >DDR3-1600 requires a BCLK of 160MHz or the use of DOCP, I'm posting the simpler DOCP method.

BIOS:
Ai Overclock Tuner -> DOCP
DRAM O.C. Profile -> DDR3-18XXMHz ; depends on the BCLK
-
DRAM Timing Control -> Manual
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 10
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> [strike]28[/strike] 29
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.25v
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.50v~1.55v ; depends on stability from Prime95 + Blend

Save & Exit = Yes

I think it is more important to get the cpu overclock right than the ram overclock. There is some interdepencence, and the cpu overclock is vastly more significant than the ram overclock.

Once you have a setting that works, by all means run memtest86+. You should be able to do a few full passes with NO errors.

Test the cpu overclock with prime95. Specify rounding checking. Let it stabilize ast it's max temperature. You should get NO errors.

IMO - I do not like or allow utilities e.g. Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility, ASUS AI Suite, etc mocking around my BIOS -- too many conflicts aka 'Cooks' ; the only mucking is what I set manually in the BIOS. Uninstall ALL BIOS evasive apps; less = more.

edit: IF the 'plan' is to also OC the CPU then you'll need to change what I posted above...

Example:
Ai Overclock Tuner -> Manual
BCLK Frequency -> 160MHz
CPU Ratio Setting -> 20 ; 23 is stock (3.06GHz) ; 20 * 160MHz = 3.20GHz
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1920MHz ; 12 * 160MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
CPU Voltage -> 1.25v~1.30v ; Adjust as needed (you might post with Auto with 3.20GHz) depends on posting and Prime95
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.25v
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.50v~1.55v ; depends on stability from Prime95 + Blend

Save & Exit = Yes

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Okay I tested the settings JAC gave me, the clocking failed twice. I'll reset to defaults and try once more.

Also the blck was 150. I set it to 155 and it set the ram frequency to 1865 which is roughly what I'm looking for.

It failed ONLY becuse I didn't know you changed the BCLK; the settings I first provided ass-u-med a BCLK of 133.33 MHz. Look above at the 'BCLK' approach.

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
everything seems in order at the moment. I went with the original settings you gave me jaquith and it finally worked. I used 133.33 blck speed and it stopped bugging out.

I'm running memtest and prime95 in a minute.

Here's a decent guide to OC your CPU -> http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?5736 ; you might have needed to increase you CPU PLL Voltage, but typically a <10% CPU OC requires very little playing around.

Worst, if you have those 'Utilities' installed they are guaranteed to interfere in any OC -- they don't need to be 'running' in your face to be 'running' and screwing around conflicting with your BIOS... That's the reason I never install them. ;)

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I completely understand, everything worked fine. I ran prime and came back just now and it happened to blue screen while I was gone. So I'm unsure what happened.

I'm looking into the dump files now. and I also put my computer back to the normal settings for the time being, it seems that its running at 1066 mhz 16gb. I think at this point I just want it running stable at 1866.

I was reading other forums and posts state to use XMP for these sticks but I've read other places no to use XMP. So i'll stick with DOCP for the moment.

XMP on the X58 is good for DDR3-1600 AND with (a) Tri-Channel Kit. Putting (2) Kits or worst Dual Channel (square peg / round hole) plus DDR3-1866 is a recipe of disaster in your case.

You need to reduce the variables and as mentioned get rid of those BIOS utilities.

DOCP or BCLK is the way to go; BCLK if the 'plan' includes OC the CPU.

Look at the Event Manger for [+] Critical errors -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Event_Manager.jpg

Event 41 is a generic way of Windows telling you it doesn't know why it shutdown. More than likely it either didn't like the BIOS settings or the fact of fast Dual (2/4) vs Tri (3/6) Channel.

Try the first 4-DIMM slots or (Four Modules), see above, 1st option, same DOCP settings and re-run Prime95 + Blend.

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I looked at the dmp file also.

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)...

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: prime95.exe....

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE

I hope this is still just part of the same problem with my RAM.

First, it's not a looks contest, it's a works vs failure issue. If you want looks then RMA the RAM for a proper Tri Channel Kit (3/6 DIMMS).

Second, Vista isn't helping things IMO Vista is in leagues with Windows ME.

Third, the Checksum error is an artifact from those poorly written and problematic 'Eye Candy' Utilities.

In order to test the RAM: 1. Memtest86+ for 2~4 passes or in your case 3~4 hours, 2. Prime95 + Blend. The added Blend test the RAM.

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I agree, its not a look contest.

Utilities are uninstalled.

Testing with memtest86+ on default configurations A2~A1+B1+C1 (anything manually set above what the motherboard gives sets, causes problems)

Then you've got a bigger problem.

Minimal BIOS (try):
BIOS:
Ai Overclock Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
-
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 28
-
DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
-
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage -> Auto

Save & Exit = Yes

F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL ; CPU-z I found, OMG weird JEDEC's.
xmpprofilft1gm.jpg

Just discovered an ERROR with the timings posted at NewEgg:

BIOS:
Ai Overclock Tuner -> DOCP
DRAM O.C. Profile -> DDR3-18XXMHz ; depends on the BCLK
-
DRAM CAS# Latency -> 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 9
-