Sign in with
Your question

Weird temp reportings

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2011 2:17:48 AM

Hi all, once again I turn to you for some help.

Here is what I have going on. I am monitoring cpu temp with speedfan, coretemp, and HWmonitor all at the same time. At idle coretemp and HWmonitor are nearly identical with speedfan reading a few degrees higher, but consistent. I ran prime95 for a bit and the results were the same, coretemp and hwmonitor match eachother, speedfan a bit higher.

Now here is the weird part. If I run a game or any other normal applications, even web browsing, coretemp and hwmonitor show that the cpu is at 36 to 38 degrees, which is fine, but speedfan jumps into the 50s and 60s.

Any ideas? Speedfan seems to be the issue here, but is it an issue of it being way wrong or is it right and the other two are not reading correctly. I suspect speedfan may just be inaccurate but I wanted to see what someone else thought.

Thanks for reading.

More about : weird temp reportings

a c 82 à CPUs
May 2, 2011 3:43:33 AM

Speedfan is the problem, the program is outdated and does not read the temperatures on the 45nm processors properly. Assuming you have a newer CPU that is probably the issue.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2011 3:45:40 AM

What is your hardware (motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, etc.)
Related resources
May 2, 2011 5:10:41 AM

I'm running an E7500 @3.6ghz on a gigabyte board with a coolermaster heatsink.

I haven't ran into any problems that make me think I'm overheating. I was just surprised by the strange readings. Mainly why doesn't speedfan read high temps while prime95 is running but it does when any other application is used?
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2011 5:21:37 AM

sentry said:
I'm running an E7500 @3.6ghz on a gigabyte board with a coolermaster heatsink.

I haven't ran into any problems that make me think I'm overheating. I was just surprised by the strange readings. Mainly why doesn't speedfan read high temps while prime95 is running but it does when any other application is used?

As i said before the speedfan is better used on 65nm lithography it provides a better reading.The coretemp is better suited to 45nm architecture to the point.So your coretemp reading would be accurate.
!