Sign in with
Your question

Gainward GTX260 GS Tri Sli Fitting Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2010 10:07:31 AM

Hi all

First Id like to say, Great forum and website, it has been a great source of information for me for quite some time.

My problem:

I am running a pair of Gainward GTX260 GS 896mb Core 216 cards in Sli no problems.
I am looking at buying another second hand and run a Tri Sli setup.
I currently have an Evga 680i motherboard (I know this is not the ideal board but will be upgrading shortly) and have purchased a Tri Sli bridge.
Now on doing a dry run on fitting the two cards together in adjacent PCI ports they just wont fit. The cards are just too thick (but only by a couple of mm's).
I am presuming that all motherboards use the same dimension for spacing the PCI ports as the Bridge that I bought is from an Asus Rampage Extreme 3.
The only way I can see that they will fit is by removing the frame piece on the top of the card that supports the heatsink and mounting differently but this will void the warranty and is not something I really want to do.

I have scoured the internet and have sent a message to Gainward support all to no avail.
Which leads me to think that I have overlooked something blindingly obvious.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Slimbo
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 10:23:46 AM

Not all boards run 2 way SLi with the cards in adjacent slots, mine doesn't it uses slots 1 and 3 for 2 way.
December 4, 2010 10:50:10 AM

Sorry I guess I didnt explain myself properly.

I am currently running Sli in slots 1 & 3.
I did a dry run by trying to see if 2 cards would physically fit in adjacent slots i.e. slots 1&2 or 2&3 which they dont.
The motherboard and Tri bridge slots are spaced at approx. 40mm apart and the cards are approx. 42mm thick.
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 10:59:50 AM

Sounds like you have some chunky cards there. Other than looking into some aftermarket HSF's the only thing you can do is to make sure that the next board you get has a lot of space between the slots. It may not be the solution you were looking for but this is one of the things with multi GPU systems that I've run into before when cards are added as an upgrade path instead of from the get go.
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 11:19:26 AM

Quote:
MM check your PM.

Checked and answered.
December 4, 2010 2:14:06 PM

I had thought about the aftermarket HSF but dont consider it economically worthwhile.
As for getting a motherboard with greater distance between the slots, do they differ between the manufacturers as I am presuming that this is a standard that is used but I could be wrong.
For instance, if I was to buy an Asus Rampage Extreme 3 (which is stated as a Tri Sli motherboard) then they still wouldnt fit.
I just find it hard to believe that a card that is advertised as Tri Sli ready doesnt physically fit in this configuration in a Tri Sli ready motherboard.

So I guess my question is just that,
Does the spacing of the PCI slots vary on different boards?
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 2:20:43 PM

Slimbo said:
So I guess my question is just that,
Does the spacing of the PCI slots vary on different boards?

Yes, that's why the SLi bridge usually comes with the motherboard as it will then span across the slots properly.
December 4, 2010 2:36:11 PM

OK, thank you but that just leads to another question.

How do I determine which motherboard they would fit because as far as I can see this dimension doesnt get stated and manufacturers dont state motherboard to graphics card compatability or vice versa?
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 2:40:40 PM

Slimbo said:
OK, thank you but that just leads to another question.

How do I determine which motherboard they would fit because as far as I can see this dimension doesnt get stated and manufacturers dont state motherboard to graphics card compatability or vice versa?

This is where you can't beat brick and mortar stores and a tape measure!
December 4, 2010 2:50:56 PM

I hear what your saying but have you ever seen anything you wanted in PC World or Maplins?

Just my luck to come up with something so obscure as I cant find any problems of this kind on the internet but glad that I did before blindly spending money on either on another card or motherboard. I guess I'll just have to see what Gainward have to say about motherboard compatability.

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.
a c 272 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 2:55:18 PM

I'm assuming that your in the UK so have you ever tried going to a computer fair?
December 4, 2010 3:08:35 PM

No I havnt but I shall keep an eye out for one locally.
!