Digital Audio Workstation to record 12 mics simulatenously?

0graham0

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hi,

I have experience building desktop computers/servers/etc. I have not had much experience with the additional equipment needed for Digital Audio Workstations. I have a friend who is interested in getting a DAW setup. I am most confused by his request to be able to record 12 mics to 12 separate tracks simultaneously.

I have found the Presonus firestudio, however it only has 8 inputs. There is also the studio live 16.4.2, however this would probably break the bank.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Alas we are on a relatively tight budget.

Thanks,
Graham

Solution
Look at the Presonus firestudio Tube. It has the 8 Mic plus 16 more analog that could be used for mic/guitar/watever only $200 more prob good deal all hooked up with firewire. Also on the computer it does not have to be all that powerful but I would go qaud prob 4 to 6 gigs ram some fast hard drives to be able to track all 12 incoming inputs... SSD if you can afford.

Thently

Perfect I/O for Music Production
The FireStudio Tube delivers all the analog I/O needed for professional recording sessions, featuring 16 analog inputs including two tube SuperChannels on the front panel, as well as eight Class-A XMAX microphone preamplifiers and six balanced TRS line inputs on the rear panel. Outputs include eight balanced TRS outputs and...
Hello 0graham0;
Just about any decent i7-950/X-58 or Phenom X4 965/AM3 890FX build will get the job done.
What does your friend have to go on the front end of the workstation? Things like mixing consoles, etc, etc. That's where things get expensive.

Look at the Presonus firestudio Tube. It has the 8 Mic plus 16 more analog that could be used for mic/guitar/watever only $200 more prob good deal all hooked up with firewire. Also on the computer it does not have to be all that powerful but I would go qaud prob 4 to 6 gigs ram some fast hard drives to be able to track all 12 incoming inputs... SSD if you can afford.

Thently

Perfect I/O for Music Production
The FireStudio Tube delivers all the analog I/O needed for professional recording sessions, featuring 16 analog inputs including two tube SuperChannels on the front panel, as well as eight Class-A XMAX microphone preamplifiers and six balanced TRS line inputs on the rear panel. Outputs include eight balanced TRS outputs and PreSonus' signature ultra loud and clear headphone output. MIDI I/O is also included on the rear panel for MIDI instruments, keyboards, and controllers. The FireStudio Tube's combination of microphone, instrument, and line inputs is perfect for a band to simultaneously record drums, bass, guitar, vocals, and keyboards without any additional preamplifiers.

Solution

0graham0

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Thanks WR2, it was more the mixing equipment that I had questions about though...

0graham0

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Oh, I overlooked the analog inputs on the tube! Thanks so much for the info, I will run it by my friend.