Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on my chosen CPU and chipset

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2012 9:21:06 PM

I am due to start piecing together the parts I have ordered for a gaming computer I decided to built. The parts that have arrived are an AMD FX 4 core at 3.6GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM and a Asus motherboard with an AMD 760G chipset.

Having not looked into chipsets before I purchased, I am now beginning to worry as internet research seems to be suggesting chipsets are greatly important.

So, my questions today are:

Is the AMD 760G chipset a good one and will it allow me to do the things I want to?

I'd also like to, in the future, overclock my CPU to 4GHz. Would this chipset allow that?

I should also point out that I plan to have a GTX 560 directcu II overclocked to 1GHz for this computer too.

Advice?
a c 104 À AMD
a c 180 V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 9:54:15 PM

If budget allows I would go for the 560Ti directcu from Asus.

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$249.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is a much better card and will give you better perfomance if it will fit in your budget.
a c 104 À AMD
a c 180 V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 10:01:23 PM

That is a real low budget motherboard and you do realize that there is no support for SLI or Crossfire and there is only one x16 full size pci-e slot , that is if I am looking at the right board. The Fx cpu will work in that board since it says it is compatable with AM3+ cpu socket. Just remember that as a rule you get what you pay for and if you don't pay much you can't expect to get much.
Related resources
January 5, 2012 10:11:13 PM

inzone said:
That is a real low budget motherboard and you do realize that there is no support for SLI or Crossfire and there is only one x16 full size pci-e slot , that is if I am looking at the right board. The Fx cpu will work in that board since it says it is compatable with AM3+ cpu socket. Just remember that as a rule you get what you pay for and if you don't pay much you can't expect to get much.

Maybe you're looking at the wrong thing. My motherboard is an Asus M5 and supports USB 3.0. I have no intentions of having two graphics cards running simultaneously and am only interested in having 1 graphics card - the GTX 560 - so 1 PCI-e x16 is fine. It can't be low budget because it's the latest version of AM3+ and supports DDR3 RAM as well as above mentioned USB 3.0. Below is a link to the actual bundle I purchased from eBay:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=140639...
January 5, 2012 10:20:32 PM

inzone said:

After some research, it doesn't seem I'll need SLI either. I don't plan to use two graphics cards at any one time. I knew the motherboard was the one place I could cut corners and frankly, I don't think it's a bad one at all. USB 3.0!!!!!!
!