M5A97 PRO BIOS for FX pre-installed?

luckyno21

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hello all.

Would any1 be able to tell me if the Asus M5A97 PRO comes pre-loaded with the BIOS ready for FX Series Processors?

The reason i ask this is i don't have a spare Processor to update the BIOS so would like to purchase a board that has the correct BIOS ready to go for FX.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

orphius1771

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I have been trying to update my M5A97PRO bios for two days. I have the new 0813 bios on a flash drive but it will not load.
I decided to try updating from the Motherboard CD....Woops it updated real easy, only problem is I now have 04XX instead of 05XX so the disc that came with the motherboard has an even older version on it.
For some reason the logic for updating requires you to back up to a floppy if you cannot do this you are stuck .
Last time a floppy crossed my path was about two years ago.
I have already purchased a sempron 145 (£32) to allow the board to work at al, l so I now have the bios screen and a Bios that refuses to be updated. ASUS....Never again, next build I will give Gigabyte a try. I can only say this , there must be some frustrated people out ther with the same problems, Asus/AMD should not have issued the FX series CPUs without ensuring their boards could run them from the box.
My worry now is that I have had this Crap built and dismantelled so many times now that I could have damage something??
If You want the M5A97PRO with an FX processor. I would suggest purchasing a mother board bundle. that has been built and CHECKED before dispatch. ie Purchased as-- An operational package, or ensure that Bios 0813 is onboard prior to purchase. indicated on the sticker located bottom right of the board...the last four digits.

Very frustrated and fed up...Graham.... Not quite ready to cut my wrists but getting there.

luckyno21

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Cheers for the reply.....

i finally got my problem sorted when i sent my motherboard back to the online shop i purchased it from. i sent my board back as faulty but after there technicians looked it over they couldn't find any problems. I asked them to see if the BIOS were updated and if not, to send back to me and i would try it again. After reinstalling the board i turned it on and have not had any problems since.......your correct in saying about ASUS, these motherboards should be updated by either the shop or manufacture before being sent out to customers who don't have a spare CPU.......ASUS do offer to update your motherboards BIOS for FX without cost, but you have to wait 2 weeks and you incur the Postage cost of sending it to them so this isn't a good solution and i feel your pain....took me 3 weeks before i could even get mine working. Just a joke when they say the boards FX ready yet you have to update the BIOS on some boards for them to work :(

I do hope you get yours sorted soon, Try giving ASUS a call if you haven't already.

Cheers again Luckyno21

ASUS - both the MOBO (see bottom sticker by CPU backplate) and MOBO's box (sticker by S/N) both 'should' have the OEM BIOS version printed on them.

Popular AM3+ MOBO's inventory by now have had their inventory replenished from more popular retailer's e.g. NewEgg, but there still are plenty of pre-FX BIOS AM3+ MOBO's out there.

This is a universal problem to ALL MOBO's manufacturers, and it's AMD's fault for not providing CPU 'CPUID' information earlier prior to AM3+ MOBO's release.

The solutions are:
1. Donor CPU - Sempron 140 or Sempron 145 ; cheapest supported CPU with lowest BIOS version.
2. Send MOBO to ASUS (MSI, Gigabyte, etc) and they'll update the BIOS ; 2+ weeks
3. Borrow supported CPU
4. Computer Shop.

orphius1771

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Well, I have admitted defeat, I am rather busy and do not have any more spare time to spend on the problem, I really enjoy technical projects but I am an enthusiastic ametuer.
I absolutly hate admitting defeat. I can usually work through most problems but this has me beat, I have taken the kit to my local computer shop. They kind of gave me a knowing look that said 'Ha Ha bitten off more than you could chew'. Today I got a call from them pretty much supporting everything I have said here, and agreeing that it would not be easy for a non computer pro, I am awaiting their invoice with trepidation
Thank you all for the support and help.

Kind regards......Graham