Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do ATI Graphic Cards have so much driver issues ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 11:43:17 AM

No, nVidia has far more driver issues.

This is a fact.
Related resources
December 4, 2010 11:59:42 AM

This chart is very intresting, but alot of the reviews I have read about ATI are about how they have some driver problem. And isn't this chart about 2007? Please I don't want this to be an argument between nVidia and ATI :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:00:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Now who's rolling out the same tired old arguments again? :lol:  And how old is that chart, two years?

The OP asked if ATI has so many driver issues.

I gave him what is currently the only link currently available on this kind of data. Just because that data shows nVidia has much worse drivers doesn't change this fact.

As far as we know, nVidia drivers are a lot worse than ATI drivers. You can believe nVidia forum fanboys all you like, I'm going to go with the official statements and records which clearly show nVidia has much, much worse drivers than ATI.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:03:14 PM

VGKitov said:
This chart is very intresting, but alot of the reviews I have read about ATI are about how they have some driver problem. And isn't this chart about 2007? Please I don't want this to be an argument between nVidia and ATI :) 

Can you link these other reviews?

If ATI has driver problems, it's usually due to crossfire. The biggest issue is, nVidia pays so many games developers to use their hardware only so ATI sometimes needs a little longer to catch up with their crossfire drivers.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:03:57 PM

VGKitov said:

That chart seems to be from the 27th of March 2008, back when Vista was being ridiculed as a pile of non working poo.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:06:04 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That chart seems to be from the 27th of March 2008, back when Vista was being ridiculed as a pile of non working poo.

And if one company is responsible for 30% of the crashes, how much do you think that would cause Vista to be ridiculed? Quite a lot I'd say.

Simple fact is, nVidia drivers weren't ready for Vista - not the other way around.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/02/8784.ars

December 4, 2010 12:08:22 PM

I mean reviews on newweg and othwer web sites like that, I know they are not the most reliable. I just wanted to ask for your opinion (people who have used ATI cards). I'm especially intrested in the Sapphire Radeon 5670.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:12:17 PM

VGKitov said:
I mean reviews on newweg and othwer web sites like that, I know they are not the most reliable. I just wanted to ask for your opinion (people who have used ATI cards). I'm especially intrested in the Sapphire Radeon 5670.

You could try going through the ATi forum here at THGF as every month a "CCC xx.xx is out, post your results" thread is made.
December 4, 2010 12:18:40 PM

Thanks everybody :) 
December 4, 2010 12:28:54 PM

Well I'm currently using an nVidia 8400GS and I have never had Driver problems, but I want to upgrade to the 5670 because my 8400GS is gust too weak, so I want to know will I have any problems with it.
December 4, 2010 12:47:24 PM

Well let me put things into perspective ... since I have a heap of cards from both manufacturers.

I'll admit MM probably knows more about SLI as I currently run a couple of 5850's in CF and the rest of my cards in single boxes.

If your running a single card then both parties have good drivers which are reliable for WinXP and Win7 ... I left out Vista as it is a dog.

Argue all you like but that is the gist of it.

If your getting a second card then I'd say NVidia SLI has the slight upper hand on ATI CF ... as the drivers are more mature over a given range of display settings at the upper end.

Please keep the discussion civil ... or I'll start editing posts ... that's aimed at dippy and eye ... thanks.

P.S. I am not in a patient mood ... it just rained and my car window is down :( 
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:50:54 PM

Excuse me reynod, but can you show me where I'm not being civil?

Espeically since I've been threatened with abuse and called a blind fanboy?
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:56:12 PM

Reynod said:
P.S. I am not in a patient mood ... it just rained and my car window is down :( 

Windows and roofs on vehicles are an overrated and unnecessary luxury if you ask me, I know you didn't but I thought I'd say it anyway. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:59:22 PM

Lol sure you have a girlfriend dipankar. She must be really bored watching you spam THG all day. :lol: 

Also, what exactly does "sighted fanboy" mean? That I have sight? Well yes, I do.
December 4, 2010 1:10:22 PM

Thanks reyond your info was very helpfull (I won't run CrossFrire, I'm not that much into gaming, just casual ). I don't know why did eyefinity and dipankar turn
this discussion into an argument even though i posted this: "Please I don't want this to be an argument between nVidia and ATI". Thans again reyond :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 1:12:28 PM

Simple really

Quote:
Eyefinity get ready to be bashed by everyone again.

That the moderators here think that is an acceptable thing to write on this forum is the reason why it turned into an argument.

I'm just wondering how low they will go.
December 4, 2010 1:12:32 PM

Right ... I hope you both enjoy the next week away from here ... I know we will.

End of story.

VG I'd like to apologise for some of the users who seem to enjoy baiting each other to the point where they end up behaving like children.

I hope you got some value anyway.
December 4, 2010 1:19:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2010 10:50:22 PM

VGKitov said:
Hello,

The tittle says it all. I am especially intrested in the Sapphire 5670.

At times both camps ATI and Nvidia have had driver issues, both camps have also had CF and SLI issues, the good thing about both camps is they're constantly working to resolve these issues, so if the latest release is a problem child you simply roll back to good drivers until the solution is resolved.

What I'm saying is, graphics drivers is not a deal breaker for either choice ATI or Nvidia, get what you want and don't worry in the least about drivers!
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2010 12:33:26 AM

eyefinity said:
No, nVidia has far more driver issues.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/03/3-27-08-vista-crash.jpg

This is a fact.

eyefinity said:
Uh yeah sure I created the pie chart, and I work at Ars Technica too obviously.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2008/03/vista-capa...

The article you linked was written in 2008, the pie chart was actually from 2007, at the initial release of Vista, during that time period graphic driver issues were happening with ATI and Nvidia both, to the best of my memory of the time period, more than likely the reason the Nvidia piece of the pie was so large was simply because there were more Nvidia cards out there at the time, almost 2 to1 in favor of Nvidia.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20080403230057_ATI_Begins_to_Fight_Back_Market_Share_from_Intel_Nvidia_JPR.html

So for you to make a general statement "This is a fact", insinuating a fact today, is in error, if you had said, "This was a fact", then for the time period and the posted chart, that still would not be correct because the pie chart does not show the volume of cards for the time period, so for the time period both were having driver problems.

When Vista was first released both Nvidia and ATI struggled to stay on top of things with their drivers for Vista, but also during that time period there were no serious problems with drivers for WinXP, from either camp.
!