Sign in with
Your question

Tearing when playing games, issue with my CPU being too hot??

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2011 8:18:16 AM

System Specs:
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Mother Board: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit x2 xfired
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Monitor: Acer S211HLbd 21.5'' 5ms LED-Backlight LCD

Situation:

While playing games (EvE online, Civilization 5) I get what I can only explain as "tearing" my display of the game will flicker often displaying multiple overlays of the same screen. Everything tests fine when I run my benchmark tests but the tearing continues.

When I go into my bio I see that my CPU is running right at 60 degrees so I don't know if that is the cause or something else is the culprit.

This is my first computer build so I am quite confused as to the cause.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2011 8:20:59 AM

i think its much more to do with your gpu however i am a bit suprised to see that your cpu is that hot.You could however stress your gpu with furmark.
The cpu problem is that you could try to install new TIM.
Tearing artifacts often are connected with your gpu rather than your cpu.
a c 82 à CPUs
May 2, 2011 9:36:58 AM

is vsync enabled? try it, and you should get rid of the tearing, it'll also reduce your gpu and cpu usage and cool it down a bit. With vsynch disabled the gpu and cpu will keep trying to draw screens and end up discarding many of them as the screen cannot display them, hence usage approximates to 100%.
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
May 2, 2011 12:11:16 PM

Your CPU voltage may be too high contributing to a heat-gain inside your box which impacts your CF'd video cards .

Don't run Furmark (though 2 x HD5770s are not really 'heaters').

Reducing your voltage to your CPU will drop temps. It is also quite likely that your motherboard is over-volting your CPU. If Asus will not allow you to adjust the Vcore in the BIOS, download and install AMD OverDrive.

In AOD you may drop your CPU voltage in 0.0125v increments and test to determine the impact on temps. When you are comfortable with performance you may then permanently save the changes.

AMD rigs will adjust CPU volts dependent upon load -- this will lead to volt swings (especially in Asus MBs). You may reduce the impact and range of these volt swings by utilizing the *Load Line Calibration* or LLC in the BIOS.

LLC is used as a hedge against Vdroop. As you drop your Vcore you may enable (and adjust) LLC to find your sweet spot of performance and temps.
May 2, 2011 4:39:58 PM

Wisecracker said:
Your CPU voltage may be too high contributing to a heat-gain inside your box which impacts your CF'd video cards .

Don't run Furmark (though 2 x HD5770s are not really 'heaters').

Reducing your voltage to your CPU will drop temps. It is also quite likely that your motherboard is over-volting your CPU. If Asus will not allow you to adjust the Vcore in the BIOS, download and install AMD OverDrive.

In AOD you may drop your CPU voltage in 0.0125v increments and test to determine the impact on temps. When you are comfortable with performance you may then permanently save the changes.

AMD rigs will adjust CPU volts dependent upon load -- this will lead to volt swings (especially in Asus MBs). You may reduce the impact and range of these volt swings by utilizing the *Load Line Calibration* or LLC in the BIOS.

LLC is used as a hedge against Vdroop. As you drop your Vcore you may enable (and adjust) LLC to find your sweet spot of performance and temps.

Wisecracker,

That is a bit over my head, but I will see if I can figure it out. I have AMD's OverDrive installed so it will probably just need some tinkering I guess...
a c 82 à CPUs
May 2, 2011 4:46:43 PM

For now ignorewise cracker, it may become important later on, is vsynch enabled?
May 2, 2011 4:49:42 PM

yes I have turned on and off vsync to see if there is any improvement.

there is no improvement in either mode.
a c 82 à CPUs
May 2, 2011 4:52:43 PM

ok then tearing is as far as I am concerned always caused by a vsynch issue, i.e. the top half of the refresh is from one frame and the bottom from another.
!