Switching Memory Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hi all,

I have a conundrum that I cannot seem to wrap my head around:

I installed a fan controller today and when I went to boot I received a BSOD. No problem, I went through the usual culprits and when it became time to test one stick of memory at a time, I fixed the issue. However, the issue was fixed by simply moving the RAM sticks to different slots, I am still using the 3 RAM sticks perfectly fine. Is this a sign of failing memory or just a fluke?

PC:
Windows 7
i7-920
12 GB G.SKILL RipJaw's
Corsair 750W
eVGA X58-SLi A1

Thanks for any advice to this puzzling event.

Solution
As I mentioned poorly seated or in some cases the pressure of insertion can cause a short/grounding short. Heck on OP actually pooched his MOBO by all guesses pressing too hard -- short/grounding short or micro-cracks.
IMO try booting in the 2nd DIMM slot (1) stick at a time.

I assume you're using the correct DIMM slots and if you are it was either a poorly seat stick or a bad stick.

DDR3_GA.jpg

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. The RAM is actually working fine now and Windows detects all 12 GB. I was just wondering what the issue could have been if I only need to switch the sticks to different DIMM slots. Maybe I bumped something around when I installed the fan controller and cleaned up the wires in the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.