Sign in with
Your question

Black screen blinking, random freezes

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2011 9:38:42 PM

Hello i just built a new sandy bridge system, and i am having random black screen flickering from time to time and with random freezing. This usually occurs with no warning, sometimes after heavy game play, some times when trying to play flash video, one time it started before i even typed my password for windows!
Please help, i think it might be my video card but im not to certain, or maybe my motherboard. Happens whether im overclocking or not for either video card or cpu.

system specs
Windows 7 64bit
i5 2500k
Asus p67 Pro
Ripjaws at xmp 1333 cas 7 at 1.5v
amd/ati 6950
asus xonar stx
corsair ax 750w
lite-on dvd drive
samsung 1tb F3
HAF 922 (stock 200mmX2, stock 120mmX1, rosewill 120mmX2, nzxt 120mmX1, yateloon 140mmX1)

might my power supply not handle the components? i also have a surge protecter, isobar premium, but might that limit the powersupply?

Thanks for any help guys
*running hdd and odd in sata III currently and still giving problems*
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2011 10:02:09 PM

This problem sure seems like a PSU or GPU related issue. This could be two problems, disguised as one, or it may be just one.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for all of your hardware.

You can test the load on the PSU by reducing the amount connected devices. Remove everything, except for the cpu/hsf. Now carefully install just one stick of RAM. Now install the GPU. Connect the monitor to the GPU. Install the HDD. Now power it up and monitor it. Does the "flickering" still occur?

Another (recommended) way to test the PSU is to use a digital multimeter and check the voltages of the wires from the back of the P1 connector, while it is connected to the mobo and powered on.

To test your GPU, try it in another computer and monitor the temps of the GPU. You may also want to test a different GPU on your mobo.

Another theory, based on the freezing, could be RAM. I would download MemTest86+ and test your RAM, one stick at a time.
m
l
February 2, 2011 10:21:57 PM

flicker is very random, like 3-5 times a week, and i have run drive sweeper and installed the latest 11.1a drivers for my video card. When i was first installing windows, both my PSU and surge protector died. I returned them and now im running the replacements. Could there be something inherently wrong with my PSU in my configuration? Maybe im plugging in the cables to PSU wrong but ill test each wire then, i got a voltmeter its just that each wire is completely covered in black so i got to use some reference charts.
The memory i think is fine but ill check anyways.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2011 3:55:56 AM

well, so far mem passed the memtest86+ both single sticks and as a dual channel.
I don't any way to test my video card, i might be it but for some reason i think its either the cpu or the mobo, PSU i think is fine, there is an asus program and it records the volts to the mobo as: 12v @ ~12.288 5v@ 5.000 and 3.3v @ ~3.376
plus i just replaced the PSU

There is a slight hum from my surge protector but i assume that is normal, its just that i dont trust it...
something is wrong here

Also EVERY time i log into windows it blinks and monitor will go black for just a second. This only occurs when i have typed in my password and press enter, instantly happens. I though that it just happens after a certain amount of time, so i waited a while then began typing my password and the same thing occurred.

it seems i have cold boot issues too, where it will boot half way stop on my cpu led during post and then shut down and reboot then work fine (except for the occastional black flickering).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2011 5:06:51 PM

In my experience, the CPU will not cause a display problem. The CPU can be indirectly related, but limited to either no display at all, or when it gets too hot, shuts the entire system down. Other than that, I haven't seen or experienced any other CPU-related failures.

The GPU is a more likely candidate for dispaly problems, especially since your RAM and PSU seem to check out fine. Download and install FurMark. When this program runs, it will be in fullscreen mode and will display the GPU temp as the testing proceeds. Don't be surprised to see temps upwards of 75 C. Run the test for about 20-30 minutes, but watch it too. If the screen flickers at all while the test is running, take note of approximately how many seconds or minutes for every instance.

If the computer doesn't freeze during the first test, run the test again. Monitor it for flickering and jot down the times of the flickering, if any. If the flickering appears to be happening consistently at the same times, this would be a strong indication of a failing GPU.

As for your concern of the surge protector, monitor the performance of the system while running off of the surge protector. If the surge protector is humming, that may be considered a normal characteristic, as electrical devices do have a hum to them. This phenomena is the result of the flow of electricity. However, if the audible level of the hum is concering you, the only way to check it is to compare it to an identical model.
m
l
February 4, 2011 4:08:33 AM

i have ran furmark before while overclocking (funny thing 6950 ran best with 18% of extra power over 20% IDK that would happen) and its ran fine, also i just placed a friends video card today and it required no excess power plugs just ran on motherboard pci-e power. I still got that black flicker when i entered in my password like always, its a similar to the random black flicker.

i really think its this motherboard or cpu

its driving me crazy.
ill run furmark again.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2011 3:11:43 PM

Testing the other GPU was a good step. Seeing as how the same problem happened, I concur, this is not a GPU problem. The best way to determine if the problem is the CPU is to test, either your CPU on a different board, or a different CPU on your board.
m
l
February 4, 2011 10:45:11 PM

T_T said:
Testing the other GPU was a good step. Seeing as how the same problem happened, I concur, this is not a GPU problem. The best way to determine if the problem is the CPU is to test, either your CPU on a different board, or a different CPU on your board.

this is awful, there is practically no way for me to do this...:(  hopefully its just the board, im suppose to get a replacement from newegg when they get new cougar point chips

and furmark showed no problems,
i even thought it might me my monitor and checked it out on a newer monitor, same problem showed up again. The only culprits i can think of are mobo, cpu or powersupply is overloaded. But my system shouldn't be stressing the power supply at all.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2011 10:54:21 PM

You can easily test if it is a load problem by leaving only the following parts installed:

1. CPU/HSF
2. GPU
3. 1 RAM stick
4. HDD
5. PSU
m
l
April 17, 2011 2:29:17 AM

REPLY:
I just installed a second P8P67 ASUS with similar setup to yours. They both failed for different hardware reasons. The first had 2 shorted RAM sockets and the second had no LAN . I am wondering if there is a problem with ASUS due to the rework of existing boards that originally were built with the old chipsets and were reworked with the Intel suppled new B3 revision 67 chipsets. Sometimes rework can damage a good board. I returned both but am leery about getting another ASUS.
Phraed
belltollsforthee said:
Hello i just built a new sandy bridge system, and i am having random black screen flickering from time to time and with random freezing. This usually occurs with no warning, sometimes after heavy game play, some times when trying to play flash video, one time it started before i even typed my password for windows!
Please help, i think it might be my video card but im not to certain, or maybe my motherboard. Happens whether im overclocking or not for either video card or cpu.

system specs
Windows 7 64bit
i5 2500k
Asus p67 Pro
Ripjaws at xmp 1333 cas 7 at 1.5v
amd/ati 6950
asus xonar stx
corsair ax 750w
lite-on dvd drive
samsung 1tb F3
HAF 922 (stock 200mmX2, stock 120mmX1, rosewill 120mmX2, nzxt 120mmX1, yateloon 140mmX1)

might my power supply not handle the components? i also have a surge protecter, isobar premium, but might that limit the powersupply?

Thanks for any help guys
*running hdd and odd in sata III currently and still giving problems*

m
l
!