Did I just commit a unspeakable mistake...

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was attaching the CM Hyper 212 + and I didn't realize I had a minute smudge of thermal compound on my finger. When I was holding the motherboard on the side tightening the nuts, it looks like I smudged a very small spot on the back of the motherboard. Did I kill my motherboard without even turning it on or there shouldn't be a problem? I didn't wet my finger or use a cloth...i gently tried to take it off but to no avail.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If all you did was to smudge some Thermal Paste on the MOBO then clean it off using Isopropyl Alcohol (90%) and allow it to dry for 5~10 minutes. The big problem is getting conductive Thermal Paste on the CPU pins...which is a nightmare to remove without bending the CPU pins.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Phewww...dodged a bullet. No, I never touch or go near the CPU pins. What do you use to wipe the area? Toilet paper? I figure paper towel would be too rough and a cotton ball would break apart and make a bad situation worse.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Just use some isopropyl alcohol and clean it off. I'd recommend using a Q-Tip with the alcohol and swabbing the area. Change Q-Tips a few times until there's nothing left on the board. Just make sure you get it all, as some compounds are conductive / capacitive (especially those that contain silver / aluminum compounds.

Don't tell my wife - I use older washed 'good' cotton towels (lower lint), but as mentioned Q-Tip's work fine.

Don't worry you'll be fine! :sol:

D

Deleted member 217926

^ This.

Coffee filters work great.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
It won't do any Damage motherboard tracks and most solder points are coated with something similar to varnish making them non conductive, the problem only occurs on cpu pins/any slots or exposed copper/solder joints for mounted circuitry

I've lost count how many times I cleaned-off thermal paste (CPU, HSF, & Blocks). I've tried both the Mr. Coffee white & brown filters both are not good for (CPU, HSF, & Blocks) paste cleaning. Try a lint free towel and you'll leave the filters to your coffee.

In the case of the OP - a thin smear can be cleaned with a filter, Q-Tip, or lint free towel.

To make you feel better I dropped one on a tile floor and cracked it in two 10 seconds after getting it out of the box. I felt like a dumba$$. Like my wife backing into my new car with her 20 minute off the lot as new as it gets car. Stuff happens and you learn to laugh about after &^*%&% everything else is out of your system.

I have used both the Q-tips, coffee filters and even used fabric sheets; they all work well in parts. Using filters/fabric sheets to clean most of the old junk off and then the Q-tip and alcohol and than dry with another filter/fabric sheet to make sure that isnt any lint left.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team