Power issues

dwash9

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I am working on a Dell Inspiron One 19 w01b that will not boot, post, or beep. The computer would not power on so I replaced the power supply. After replacing it, the computer booted to the windows login screen. Then after a few minutes, the screen went blank. I thought it went into hibernation mode but it will not power back on.

I have tried the RAM using 1 stick at a time with no luck. When I plug in the power cord, it sounds like it wants to send power to the power supply but I only hear a faint click. Nothing powers on at all but there is a light that flashes randomly with no set pattern.

I'm assuming this is a motherboard problem. Wanting to make sure it's the motherboard before giving up. The mobo costs about as much as the computer itself!

dwash9

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I've tried the CMOS battery and that didn't help. I don't want to send it to Dell since it sounds like it's the motherboard. It's not worth replacing the motherboard when a brand new one isn't that much more.

"I'm assuming this is a motherboard problem. Wanting to make sure it's the motherboard before giving up. The mobo costs about as much as the computer itself! "

Doesn't this contradict what you just posted???

"I don't want to send it to Dell since it sounds like it's the motherboard. It's not worth replacing the motherboard when a brand new one isn't that much more. "

That AIO is a little too compact, and since you cannot possibly have the equipment required to test the power circuits of the AIO it's better to take it to them, since this could also be just a simple power issue from the main power circuit of the AIO and not necessarily the Mobo.
It's better to get it checked by the people who built the baby.

teholdsedare

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Via troubleshooting you can narrow the issue down to a MB tho, I can see how you would end up saying the MB is bad, and just decide to scrap the board and keep the spare parts. Thats how I end up getting spare parts. :)

You could invest in a new board for it, or you could invest in a repair diagnostic from Dell, but they will charge you to simply tell you the board is bad when you have already found that out.

If I were you, I would find a used WORKING board on a site like Ebay or other, and take your processor and ram, (if you have not already tested them to make sure they work) and plug them into that (MAKE SURE YOU DOUBLE CHECK COMPATIBILITY!!!) so you have a decent computer for the price of a used MB that works. This is what I usually do. :)

Might help ya :)

bchambers

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

did you ever get your computer working my computer is doing the same thing, and like you I don't want to spend the money if its near the same price as a new computer.