Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need to upgrade MB in Dell Studio 540

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2012 12:03:49 AM

I currently have a Dell Studio 540. I am running into a dilemma. I use this computer for mainly business and entertainment (movies, pictures etc....) I just recently purchased an XFX Radeon HD 6790 GPU because I was looking for a decent card that could support 4 displays (no gaming). I found it. Well I installed my new PSU and was looking to install the GPU, but it wont work! The card is so wide and long that it covers 2 of my SATA connections on the MB completely... (Just my luck). So can someone point me in a direction that will allow the use of my Q8200 CPU and the 8gb of memory I already have, that will fit inside the 540 case, and will allow for room to install this card and still have my SATA connections.

8gb Ram has to be minimum, more would be great, 2x PCIe 2.0x16 would be great, but one will do, I dont run any other cards, and has to have enough SATA ports for my 4 devices (not sure if that is the standard). Blu-ray burner, DVD Burner, 2x HDD. Would prefer the SPDIF output and the 3.5mm surround option output on board, but I can add a card if absolutely necessary.

BTW, this is the MB currently installed... http://www.esaitech.com/ccp54659-dell-m017g---0m017g-st...

if you look at the pictures enlarged, you will see the problem I am talking about!

Thanks for any and all responses!!!
January 6, 2012 12:03:52 PM

No. No dell windows OS. Win 7 ultimate. I was thinking about the 90 degree thing. But the problem is I would need two. One would have to have the cord exit one direction and the other would need the cable to go the opposite direction. Since SATA cable connectors can only be installed one direction, the cord won't plug in because they will be right on top of each other??
Score
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 12:06:48 PM

Looks to me that you can face two cables in the opposite direction, having one cable extending out over the board and the other one extending the opposite way. Simply use the cables in the corner sata ports caddycornered so they don't overlap.
Score

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 12:12:30 PM

I still suggest you try the new sata cables first. Newegg.com one of the largest e-tailers in the world, has no boards left similar to the one you have now. Your dell board is actually pretty good, with hdmi and spdf ports. Ebay will end up costing you as much or more for a used board and many boards have the sata ports in similar positions. Tough to do a visual on some boards to see if the new video card will interfere with the sata cables. Will continue looking for you.
January 7, 2012 2:10:13 AM

o1die said:
I still suggest you try the new sata cables first. Newegg.com one of the largest e-tailers in the world, has no boards left similar to the one you have now. Your dell board is actually pretty good, with hdmi and spdf ports. Ebay will end up costing you as much or more for a used board and many boards have the sata ports in similar positions. Tough to do a visual on some boards to see if the new video card will interfere with the sata cables. Will continue looking for you.

Well I took your advice and picked up some 90 deg cables... Ever so barely did the damn thing fit!!! Although I had to relocate the hard drive, the card is in and works!!!!

Thanks for that idea, $10 well spent (price to pay to get them today)

Score
January 7, 2012 2:11:38 AM

Best answer selected by SmurfOnABoat.
Score
!