Sign in with
Your question

More RAM or more Cores

Last response: in Memory
January 6, 2012 12:05:27 AM

As discussed in a previous thread I was not able to solve my issue of Windows 7 Ultimate not loading with 8gb RAM and the extra cores on a Phenom II x2 555 BE unlocked. It's been running 4gb on the unlocked cores for 2 years. I have 8gb(2x4) and 4gb(2x2) of G.Skill Ripjaw, exact same specs, just different capacity. So this raises a new question for me... What configuration to go with.

Option 1: Leave things as they are. 4gb(2x2) RAM with the cores unlocked and overclocked to 3.6ghz
Option 2: 6gb(2x4,1x2) RAM with the cores unlocked and overclocked to 3.6ghz (memory channel issues?)
Option 3: 8gb(2x4) RAM running on only the 2 cores overclocked to 3.6ghz
Option 4: Throw all 12gb RAM in there and see what happens (haven't tried it yet)
Option 5: ???

Thanks in advance...

More about : ram cores

January 6, 2012 12:10:25 AM

throw it all in.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 6, 2012 12:15:35 AM

...and if it doesn't work, go to the 8gb.
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2012 12:22:45 AM

nmmnp1 said:
As discussed in a previous thread I was not able to solve my issue of Windows 7 Ultimate not loading with 8gb RAM and the extra cores on a Phenom II x2 555 BE unlocked. It's been running 4gb on the unlocked cores for 2 years. I have 8gb(4x2) and 4gb(2x2) of G.Skill Ripjaw, exact same specs, just different capacity. So this raises a new question for me... What configuration to go with.

Option 1: Leave things as they are. 4gb(2x2) RAM with the cores unlocked and overclocked to 3.6ghz
Option 2: 6gb(4x1,2x1) RAM with the cores unlocked and overclocked to 3.6ghz (memory channel issues?)
Option 3: 8gb(4x2) RAM running on only the 2 cores overclocked to 3.6ghz
Option 4: Throw all 12gb RAM in there and see what happens (haven't tried it yet)
Option 5: ???

Thanks in advance...

I would stay with option 1 as it seems to give you the most balanced system. 4Gb of RAM really is plenty for about 90% of games and about 95% of any software. Unless you run some serious memory intensive programs I see no situation that you would not benefit more from having an overclocked true quad core CPU with 4Gb of RAM over any of the other listed options.

You could try option 4 as well. You never know if it will work until you try it. Maybe a memory voltage boost might help at keeping all those sticks stable.
m
l
a c 129 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2012 12:24:09 AM

You will have memory channel issues with Option 2, the channels must have the same commit size in order to run in dual channel mode.

One of the hazards with running processors that are 'unlocked' is that they may very well not function properly. Processors are all made the same and then 'binned' to separate those which perform the best from those which perform the worst. Sometimes a process is mature enough that the vast majority of all processors will perform well above specification despite not matching market demand. This leads to otherwise well performing processors being relegated to cheaper market segments which makes them attractive for overclockers (Example, the Q6600 which could overclock 25% without breaking a sweat). Othertimes, there are legitimate issues which prevent processors from working within a particular segment. Rather than toss the processor, they simply lock out the faulty part and sell it in a lower segment, this is why the x2 processors can be unlocked to 4 cores. Sometimes it will be a fully functional x4 which was simply binned down for marketing reasons and sometimes it's a faulty x4 which was binned down because it won't work otherwise. What you may have is an x4 in which one of the locked cores doesn't play nicely with large memory sizes.

If you could link back to the previous thread I may be able to help you more
m
l
January 6, 2012 1:43:35 AM

Does your Bios support Only unlocking one extra core? sometimes you can get away with turning your X2 into a X3 if you can identify which core is giving you grief
m
l
January 6, 2012 1:45:34 AM

Another point what speed are you running your memory?
because by default the X2 series cpu's only have Dual channel 1333mhz memory controller, and when all for slots are filled they clock it down to 1066mhz ( I know you can clock it higher, but sometimes results are varied, specially if your unclocked core might have a picky memory controller)
m
l
January 6, 2012 1:54:17 AM

Thanks all..

Only using 2 out of 4 memory slots and I've tried clocking down the memory. I've also tried disabling the extra cores one at a time with no luck. In fact, it won't work if ACC is enabled even if I disable both cores. With 4gb(2x2) or even 6gb(2x4,1x2) RAM everything works fine running 4 cores. With the 8gb RAM (2x4) when EC is set to hybrid and the ACC is disabled I have 2 cores and Windows loads. If I enable the ACC but disable the 2 new cores it won't load, still only running 2 cores. Here's a link to Ars where there is a little more information http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1164396
m
l
!