Sign in with
Your question

I have a Dell dimension e310 desktop

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2011 12:18:21 AM

Hi I am new to the forums and a friend had told me to use this to ask any questions that I may have about upgrading my computer a bit.

So I have a Dell Dimension e310 pentium 4 2.8ghz with 2 gigs of ram.

I am looking to try to get a little bit of a better video card for the computer but I have no idea what I can run in it since I know that the video that is in it now is integrated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
February 3, 2011 12:50:00 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

You have maxed out on the RAM; 2 GB, which is good. Video cards are power hungry beasts. This computer comes with a 230 Watts Power Supply. As a result, it may not be advisable to add a video card to this computer with the existing power supply.

If you are a risk-taker, look into 256 MB video cards under $30 suitable for a PCI-slot
m
l
February 10, 2011 2:13:19 AM

for anyone else in this boat, I ended up buying an nvidia geforce 6200 using the plain pci slot from micro center for like 40 bucks and a 500 watt regular socket psu for 27 bucks and the computer runs phenomenaly now
m
l
February 10, 2011 11:55:09 AM

Glad you updated the PSU, and got the new video card. MicroCenter is the place for Intel CPUs too at great prices.
m
l
!