No Post No Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
CPU : AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+
64-bit processor with AMD64 technology
(2.4GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 2000MHz system bus)
Operating System : Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Display : eMachines® 17" Widescreen LCD Display (E17T6W)
1440×900 (native and maximum)
Chipset : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
Memory : 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 dual-channel memory (2 × 512MB)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 slots (total), 0 DDR2 slots (available)
Hard Drive : 250GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB cache)1

Optical Drive : 16x DVD±R/RW Supermulti drive
Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD±R DL, 8x DVD±RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 40x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM DL
Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 integrated graphics
Up to 128MB shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x8) slot available for upgrade
Sound : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Communications : 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Peripherals : Standard multifunction keyboard
2-button wheel mouse (PS/2)
Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Ports/Other : 6 - USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 rear)
1 - VGA
1 - Parallel port
1 - Serial port
2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
3 - Audio (rear): line-in/side (stereo), front/headphone (stereo), microphone
2 - Audio (front): microphone, front/headphone (stereo)
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet port
1 - RJ-11 modem port

My unit powers on, but i get no beep,post, or Video? Sitting here scratching my neither regions.

Solution
Sounds like the Power Supply may well have baked the motherboard. :( That can happen sometimes with PSU failures. You can open up the computer case and look at the board. If it fried, sometimes it's pretty obvious. Other times there's no visual sign.

I'd suspect you should be able to pick up an old used motherboard that supports this CPU and RAM fairly cheap some where.
Troubleshooting:

1) Check all cables and make sure they're plugged in properly. Video cables, power cables, etc. Including to your monitor. Make sure the monitor is turned on.

2) Do you have a discrete video card added on? Or are you using the built in video? If the integrated video has failed, you can try purchasing a cheap PCI-E video card and installing that. This would replace your onboard graphics and potentially fix the problem.

With the age of your system, it could simply be that something has failed. The CPU, the integrated Graphics Chip, etc.

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Thanks for the blazingly quick reply Jerreece. I checked all of the connections and they are all seated correctly and firmly. My video is on-board. I recently replaced the power supply box. Originally the unit popped one day and the power supply was fried. So I replaced it and it powers on but I get no "beep" post, or video. I'll try another video card but shouldn't I at least get an audible beep?

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

There aren't any shops within this area that can run diagnostics on motherboards. I can purchase a Pci Boot failure Diagnostic card. This an older computer that I've given to my daughter. I just bought an i5 system a couple of months ago. Just trying to keep the relic alive until it disintegrates.

Sounds like the Power Supply may well have baked the motherboard. :( That can happen sometimes with PSU failures. You can open up the computer case and look at the board. If it fried, sometimes it's pretty obvious. Other times there's no visual sign.

I'd suspect you should be able to pick up an old used motherboard that supports this CPU and RAM fairly cheap some where.

Solution

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

I reset the Cmos and changed the battery still the same results. Thanks...

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Replaced the motherboard and power supply, so the machine is back up and running again (Living on borrowed time). Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate you guys for taking some time out for problem solving your the best. Have a safe and serene holiday.....

Glad it works for you now. :) Sorry you had to replace both items. Unfortunately it happens sometimes.

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

I absolutely agree Jerreece, but that's why we have this forum, to assist one another in problem solving, I'm grateful to everyone that had input on my particular problem and realize that they and yourself took some time out in helping a fellow computer user. And I learn more each time that I interact with someone a bit more computer savy than myself. Thank You so much for allowing me some of your time, I really appreciate it. It only makes us better. Have a safe and warm new year and I wish you and yours only the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.