Does using high-watt PSU cause excess electricity use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highsis

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I want to know if the thread title's statement is true, in case I'm mixing other low-power computer components that requires 500w with 1000w power supply.

Would this cause 1000w-level use of electricity, or will I only use 500w? Thank you.

Solution
No. Your machine will only draw the power it requires at a given point in time from the outlet. You can determine this by using an appliance load tester. They run around $30 at the depot.
What ubercake said is correct.
One cavet - at Idle it might use a little more (NOT enough to sweat). If your Idle power is arround 200 Watts that is 20% load. Eff is normally rated at around 50 % load and dropps off slightly when over 80% and under 20%. So w 1000 W would use more (at the wall outlet) than say a 750 W (200 W = 27%) but at 500 watts load both the 1000 W and the 750 Watt would use the same.

The better question is why are you using a 1000w psu for low power computer components??

What psu are we talking about? If it's a generic psu, it's likely not even close to the advertised wattage of 1000w, not to mention if it's not at LEAST 80+ certified, then it's going to be very inefficient, regardless of the wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.