/ Sign-up
Your question

Upgrade system or wait for BD

  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2011 4:01:12 AM

I was looking at newegg parts formy Bulldozer build (leaving out the mobo and cpu) and a question came to mind,"should i really do a completely new build or should I upgrade my 2010 build." In truth I really can not decide so I thought why not ask the TH forums on what I should do.

Here are my current specs:
ASRock M3A770DE motherboard
Athlon II x2 3.0ghz 250 cpu (wish I would got the Phenom II x3 :cry:  )
2x2gb Kingston 1066 DDR3 Ram
MSI R5550 1gb GDDR3 (discontinued and no longer on MSI website)
500gb 3gb/s harddrive
Asus combo drive
thermaltake 430 psu (not sure what model)
6 - 8 year old antec case (fans still work too :D  )
Windows 7 home edition

the arguments
Pros- cheaper, easier to build and can use it as a backup
Cons- will be out of date sooner then I want.
New BD buid:
Pros - longer life span and better hardware to choose from in the future
Cons - much more expensive and possible hardware problems

I already have plans to update my moniter so I can get into the higher resolutions. I'm just unable to decide weather it's better to upgrade my current system for wait for Bulldozer and build a completely new system. the reason that this question even poped up is because the psu I'm using is borrowed from a family member, that I would like to return. I will also say this, if i upgrade, it must last till end of 2012 or mid 2013 without anymore upgrades (looking at a 2 1/2ish life span). any suggestions are welcomed and so are your opinions.

P.S. if there's a not enough info please let me know and i will edit where I can.

More about : upgrade system wait

a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2011 4:16:25 AM

a processor and GPU upgrade will st you a couple years:

Athlon II X3 450 and a HD 6850 would be $260 and last you through 2012 easy.

if you wanted to splurge, an X6 1075t is $190 now, so it with the same 6850 would run ~$370
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2011 4:32:16 AM

Like screwy said those could last you for a while (meaning his 450 and 6850).

Now in my personal choice I would honestly make a new build. It'll be faster but not only that I'm pretty sure 32nm will be the peak for a while. Until we start using 28nm for desktops (not like ARM using the Cortex's for the Mobile CPU) I see that BD will last you at least until 2013. Games still haven't fully utilized the 5970 and that card has been what? 2-3 years. I see the 5970 staying usable for a long time. So yeah doing a new BD build would prove rather future proofing IMO.
Related resources
February 3, 2011 3:11:12 PM

id go the upgrade path. you can realize definite gains NOW. Save your money for BD and build a better rig in a couple of years, the tech we will have by then will have matured at least a little and you'll be a far superior spot to make a decision.
February 3, 2011 7:51:39 PM

okay, thanks for the input. I'll just wait till about the end of 2012 (at the earliest) for a new build. any suggestions as far as the upgrades? oh and I'll just add another stick or two of ram since I've had no problems with the current ram.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2011 12:20:49 AM

Current ram is fine, no need to add more. As for upgrades the most that would help you is a better GPU, like even a 4670 or a 60$ 4830 would boost your performance. You can get the 4830 off my site in the siggy (450$ build section in Amazon recs) or search up Powercolor 4830, i think it's the only 4830 out of a select few left for so cheap.