Sign in with
Your question

Graphics driver crash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2010 7:44:37 PM

hey, i have this problem with my graphics card.you when i try to play a game on full maxed out graphics, after about 2 minutes the screen goes black, but my vid card is a GeForce 9700 gts and i looked on the nvidia site but it says that this driver is fully up to date. the only thing i could think of is that i just upgraded from vista 64 bit you windows 7 64 bit. and maybe it's a compatibilty issue? i don't know when i had vista i was able to play all games fully maxed out. My hardware vid card you know the one inside my comp is a GeForce 9700 gts and the driver i have installed is GeForve 9700 gts and it's fully updated could someone help me?

More about : graphics driver crash

December 4, 2010 7:46:04 PM

at the bottom it's "GeForce" not GeForve
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 7:50:11 PM

Let's take a look at your video card's temperature.

Download and install a program called GPU-Z. This has a tab on it to monitor GPU temperature. It would help to know what temperature the card runs when you're doing nothing, just sitting at the Windows Desktop.

Then it'd be nice to see how warm it gets when you run a 3D program (game, or something). A VERY good program to get your video card nice and warm is Furmark. It's also free, and will get your video card very hot.

Since you can play for about 2 minutes before it crashes, it makes me wonder if your card is possibly overheating. This could be caused by dust building up in the cooling fan / heatsink of the video card over time.

Also: Does it crash with any game? Or just one in particular?
Related resources
December 5, 2010 2:57:25 AM

No i don't think it's an overheating problem. That's what i first thought it was too but when the game crashed my comp isn't hot at all so i don't think it's an overheating problem. It crashes on any game i play, like i can play flash games off the internet and that includes 3d ones it's just with the REAL games i have, such as Dead Space, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead 2, and any game like those it crashes.My comp is a laptop so maybe that'll help.
December 5, 2010 5:03:14 PM

alright, i'll try it, but i doubt it
!