Sign in with
Your question

New Build, Need advice.

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2011 6:39:27 AM

More about : build advice

February 3, 2011 10:55:36 AM

Case is awesome looking on the outside, but "no finger hurting" really is not a good substitute for the specs you need to make a decision on the PSU. First it says 250W, then label 800W, without any mention of the make or model. There are lots of bad power supply makers out there, and this is almost certainly one of them. You'll need 500 to 600 Watts to be comfortable.

Here are some suggestions:

PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500W for $36

Case: COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 for $50

Since you are buying the BE edition CPU, I see you are planning to overclock. Don't forget an aftermarket heat sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus for $37

I realize this is probably more than you wanted to spend. If you wanted to get a lower wattage chip, say this AMD Athlon II X3 450 for $80, and did not plan on overclocking, then I would be tempted to buy the Newegg shellshocker deal that is available for the next 5 hours:

Thermaltake VL84301W2Z V3 Black Edition with 430W Power Supply for $45 This is not the highest quality, but it sure is the right price at the moment. That will save you $70 on the processor, and you don't really need the heat sink.

February 4, 2011 6:55:29 AM

So i should definitely get a better PSU, thank you for your time and your answer.
Anyone else have to add something about compatibility between CPU,MB and GPU? Will i get the max from them all?
!