M2N-MX SE PLUS with Athlon X2 6000+: is this incompatible?

flickering_cursor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hi
I posted my problem in the motherboard category, but didn't get any response. Hence reposting it here, hoping to get some clarification.

I think my Mobo and CPU are not inter-compatible. WHich is why I'm getting serious issues in performance - especially with playing hi-res videos and multitasking. My CPU usage shoots up drastically all of a sudden. Always while playing hi-res videos. Sometimes all on its own. The task manager shows svchost services eating up the resources - such as windows update etc.

I have installed all latest drivers for the Mobo as well as onboard graphics. Also disabled Windows Essentials etc. and even tried to disable the aero effects. Nothing has worked.

I suspect my CPU is of a higher TDP than the Mobo can handle. (THe CPU cabinet is also too noisy and heated at times).

What's the most ideal next step for me? Replace Mobo or CPU? Will adding a gfx card help?

My config:

Mobo:M2N-MX SE PLUS with onboard nvidia GeForce graphics
CPU: Athlon X2 6000+
RAM: 4 GB

Solution
f you had to pick one, I'd retain the CPU, but I'd Suggest dumping both.

a high quality CPU + Mobo + DDR3 RAM can be had for $160-200.
(AS Rock 880 Mobo: $60, 4 GB DDR3: $40, Athlon II X2 260: $61 or X3 450: $80 or X4 640: $100)

the X2 260 plus an AM3/AM2+ ASRock N68C-S motherboard that handles DDR2 or DDR3 would be $102
that is an AM2 motherboard. As long as you have a AM2 version of the Athlon X2 6000, it should be ok.

If its a socket 939 model, then it'll be a problem.

what you might consider is replacing the cooler. you shuld also run CoreTemp 64 and CPU-Z to monitor what the cpu is doing.

with batchuka's information, you need to replace the the motherboard with one that can handle your cpu.

I'd suggest than an Athlon X2 6000+ is rather anemic by modern standards(its a circa 2005 chip) , and would suggest a newer pc, if you can afford it, is a better option

flickering_cursor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Thank for your replies. Sorry, but I'm a tech noob, and not conversant with all the tech specs. For reference, I ran Speccy on my comp, and these are the specs:
http://imgur.com/vcLTl
http://imgur.com/M3zD9

Are you suggesting that i replace my entire mobo+cpu combo and retain the RAM? If yes, which (like batuchka mentioned, anything <100 is preferable)

Or if i were to retain one of those two, which one should i retain? the mobo or the cpu?

also considering getting a discrete graphics card.

what is a cooler? same as fan?

f you had to pick one, I'd retain the CPU, but I'd Suggest dumping both.

a high quality CPU + Mobo + DDR3 RAM can be had for $160-200.
(AS Rock 880 Mobo: $60, 4 GB DDR3: $40, Athlon II X2 260: $61 or X3 450: $80 or X4 640: $100)

the X2 260 plus an AM3/AM2+ ASRock N68C-S motherboard that handles DDR2 or DDR3 would be $102

Solution

flickering_cursor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

those bundle deals look fine. i think they're just for the US though. unfortunately, i'm in india. anywhere that ships this internationally? or does it locally here?

flickering_cursor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Ok. I forgot to mention that I'm in India. All I have seen here are Asus or Gigabyte motherboards.

Any particular reason I should replace my DDR2 RAMs with DDR3?

Also, would a Phenom be better than Athlon?

It really depends on budget - if you are super tight then hit a cheap AM2+ with no TDP limits for your 6000+ and reuse your DDR2. As seen, most peeps less knowledgeable about h/w could easily over see this and give wrong/incomplete advice.@@

If budget is not as tight - AM3/DDR3 upgrade is a good idea and also depends on your needs as well