Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P8Z68-V Pro not booting from SATA Drive

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 6, 2012 7:12:52 AM

Hello,

I just recently bought and built a new computer with said mobo. i5 2500k CPU, 8GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance, Antec new 750W Power supply, GTX 560 Ti and a 1TB Sata2 Samsung HDD.

I connected everything together fine, booted up forcing me in to bios. So I have a little look around, everything seems ok.

Restarts

AHCI Device not detected message comes up, then it gives me "Please select a proper boot device"

So I check the BIOS to see if it's corretly seeing my hard drive. It is. Samsung blahblah 1TB comes up, as does my DVD Drive.

The HDD is from my old computer, it has Windows 7 Professional x64 installed on it.

Luckily I have my old computer still.

From doing a little research I notice a lot of people having problems with this mobo and it's sata connectors. I have tried it in the grey ones, blue ones and navy blue ones all to the same effect. I notice a lot of people are having it not detecting their HDD, but mine says it can see it... I can even look through the contents of it if I go in to EZ Flash, so It's definitely detecting it.

This is incredibly frustrating as I can't get it working, has anyone got any ideas ?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 77 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 7:48:47 AM

No No NO, just put the HDD in the old pc boot into windows, change the IDE setting to AHCI in the registry . reboot the rig, into BIOS, set the IDE to AHCI and see it boot.
Shutdown, remove HDD insert into new rig, SATA 1 Port, see it boot, preferably into safe mode once or twice and then into standard mode.
Read the exact steps here.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-...
January 6, 2012 8:22:01 AM

I am at work at the moment so I will give this a try when I get home, thanks for the reply and advice!

Just on a side note, I did try changing the sata in the bios for my new rig to "IDE" just to see if it would boot, but alas it would not.

Related resources
January 6, 2012 8:40:24 PM

Hello alyoshka

I have read your explanation and instructions on the link and can copycat them but don't understand what's actually happening to the drive before and after so that it's recognised?

Also what's the reason for booting to safe mode several times before booting to standard mode?

If you can spare a moment it would be great if you could explain a little further to clarify my understanding.

Thanks In advance.

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 77 V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 12:24:30 AM

If you want to understand it simply then I can give you an example, it's like recognition, or like FAT32 OSes don't recognize drives formatted in NTFS. If that's not good enough, then it's the way in which data is transferred between the two, the disk and the mobo, since the mobo is just a PCB, it's the understanding and recognition of the HDD by the Controller on the Mobo that is being super defined.
The physical method is the SATA interface and the logical method is the AHCI standard by which data at both ends will be interpreted.

Since the HDD already has an OS on it, this means the disc was used before in another machine. So, it has it's OS setup and drivers loaded for the parts that were present in the other machine, now when you remove that disc and put it into a new machine the OS will need to restructure itself to the New layout of the board and other peripherals on the rig. That's why we use safe mode, so that the OS gets acquainted with the new neighborhood, and learns to live with them instead of giving us a BSOD every now and then.
January 7, 2012 1:31:34 AM

alyoshka
Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain.

I half understand now.... let me explain why I asked.

I purchased the same board and have sata drive with XP Pro SP3 Formatted NTFS and quite a lot of applications installed. I thought I had to format the drive and reinstall in the new system.
If I can install the drive without having to reinstall the OS and Applications, that would be great because there's much time involved installing everything.

To Quote You

Quote:
It's like recognition, or like FAT32 OSes don't recognize drives formatted in NTFS.


In my senario my drive is formated NTFS.... so is the comment above still relevant?

Quote:
If that's not good enough, then it's the way in which data is transferred between the two, the disk and the mobo


If I install my NTFS XP Pro SP3 Sata drive into the new board would the data transfer between the drive and mobo be compatible or do I still need to uninstall the old mobo drivers etc and install the new mobo drivers from the new installation disc?

Can you explain how it works that safemode aquaints the OS?

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Again





a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 77 V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 3:17:03 AM

That was an example.... the NTFS thing.....

You can use the same HDD with XP Pro SP3 in the new rig, leave the SATA settings to IDE, since I think AHCI is compatible with Vista and later OSes not pre Vista ones.
Yes, the drive, the OS and the Mobo will be compatible. BUT, you will still need to start in safe mode a few times. Uninstalling the older drivers and software is optional, but we do it anyways, so that the systems doesn't loose speed because of unnecessary programs and registry entries that aren't required.

When you start the rig in safe mode, only the basic, universal drivers are used. Thus , the OS has a chance to detect new hardware that is on the Mobo and new chips that are on it in, as the mode says, a safe way without forcing, for example -- say a ALC sound chip driver onto a XFi soundchip, with XFi screaming I'm not ALC but the OS not giving up, leading to a clash and then a crash with you being left with a BSOD .

And it would have been nicer of you to have started a new thread with this question since this is called threadjacking... the poor OP who actually posted the first question or started the thread will end up receiving mail for every new reply you get here. It's not very polite.....
January 7, 2012 12:38:09 PM

Hello alyoshka

Thanks for taking the time to reply and explanations.

It was not my intention to hijack this thread or be rude to ICThomson.
Rather the opposite, I thought I was contributing to the discussion as my questions were relevant to the topic, but do take on board that you think otherwise and with your agreement will start a fresh post as I have a few more question with respect to your last explanations if you are still willing to advise. Please let me know here first, then I will post my other questions in a new topic.

Thanks again for the help.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 77 V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 12:41:14 PM

Of course I'll help you out with whatever little I know....
January 7, 2012 6:24:41 PM

ICThomson said:
Hello,

I just recently bought and built a new computer with said mobo. i5 2500k CPU, 8GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance, Antec new 750W Power supply, GTX 560 Ti and a 1TB Sata2 Samsung HDD.

I connected everything together fine, booted up forcing me in to bios. So I have a little look around, everything seems ok.

Restarts

AHCI Device not detected message comes up, then it gives me "Please select a proper boot device"

So I check the BIOS to see if it's corretly seeing my hard drive. It is. Samsung blahblah 1TB comes up, as does my DVD Drive.

The HDD is from my old computer, it has Windows 7 Professional x64 installed on it.

Luckily I have my old computer still.

From doing a little research I notice a lot of people having problems with this mobo and it's sata connectors. I have tried it in the grey ones, blue ones and navy blue ones all to the same effect. I notice a lot of people are having it not detecting their HDD, but mine says it can see it... I can even look through the contents of it if I go in to EZ Flash, so It's definitely detecting it.

This is incredibly frustrating as I can't get it working, has anyone got any ideas ?


Have you checked that hard drive is set as default drive?
!