Can't turn on computer

patyau2

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I recently built a computer and everything is working normally except for the RAM. I have 2 A-DATA DDR3 4GB RAMs, which add up to 8 GB in total. My computer only showed 4 GB most of the time so I decided to test which RAM stick is working and which isn't working.

What I did was:
Note: Since I have 2 RAM sticks, let the first one be RAM1 and the other be RAM2

1. Take out RAM2, turn on PC and check BIOS (shows 4GB)
2. Take out RAM1 and put RAM2 in, turn on PC

Then the PC starts to do this:

1. Fans and a red LED light turn on which I believe is something to do with the memory
2. Everything turn off
3. 2 secs later turns back on
4. BUT nothing on monitor, no light coming out of the mouse and keyboard

And now, one of the fans stopped working too (maybe its not related...)

What I tried:
Using the jumper to reset the motherboard settings
Disconnect the DVD-Rom drive and hard drive
Check if everything is plugged in normally (I 'think' its fine...)
Unplug power supply and plug it back in
Unplug everything else like mouse, keyboard and wireless adapter except for the monitor

So... any suggestions?

patyau2

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
After that, no matter what ram I put into what slot, it still does the same thing :( So basically, for your question, YES for the first and NO for the second.

patyau2

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
mmmmmmm After a few hours, I switched around the RAMs randomly and it worked o_O dunno what happened... Anyways, I appreciate your help :) Btw I also have a problem with my RAM... sometimes its 3.49GB usable out of 8gb and sometimes, it just shows 4gb in total... any ideas how I could solve that?

Ntr2100

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
A) Tom Chan tells me you tried to overclock your RAM.
B) Specify your RAM manufacturer and model, plox

Because overclocking budget RAM sticks is the dumbest thing a poor man's PC user can do.

Ntr2100

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
As to the RAM limitation, 32-bit OS are limited to 3.25 GB of usable RAM. If you have more than that, you are using a 64-bit version of windows and your second RAM stick may be defective, or may have been allocated to your graphics or other hardware for whatever reason.

Ntr2100

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Restore to stock. Has your P67 been affected by the recall Intel issued? you should go check that out btw.

A) You're not running a K-core processor, so really, there isn't much reason to overclock
B) Don't try to overclock value RAM. If you want to overclock, you would want to buy the Corsair Dominators or Corsair Vengenance RAM modules.

Tom Chan can't really help you much if you want to know about overclocking... you really should have done your homework first ya noe