Building in February. Which card?

rust1d

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I am now starting to buy my components like the PSU, case etc. I am holding off on the cpu/ram/graphics until February (tax return, bonus etc) and I believe I will be waiting for Sandybridge. I would like to crossfire, so my initial choice was 2x 6870's, but by the time I am ready to buy, the 6970 will be out and probably some other nvidia offerings.

My first question is crossfire or SLI. I heard many issues with crossfire setups, but I do like the fact that AMD's are cooler and quieter.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Don't buy anything until you are going to build, prices drop every week.

Buying parts at a time will end up just making you waste money. If anything just save money up for the build then come back here at feb tell us the budjet and we will help you pick your parts.

If you are undecided on SLI or Crossfire, consider getting an SLI-certified motherboard. All motherboards with two PCIe slots will do Crossfire, but only some do SLI.

Interesting to think, but by February there will be so many new cards debuted by then, you almost need a crystal ball. Let's see... 6900 series, including the 6990 dual chip. Then there's the GTX560, 570, and the GTX590, also a dual chip card. I have also heard of a GTX580 3GB model, and then who knows what prices will be.

rust1d

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I already purchased the PSU - Corsair 850 HX for $135 after MIR. Other than that, I am waiting...just more curious about crossfire vs sli vs one single big card.

Nice job on the PSU. That model is one of the best.

A single big card is always best to start with, then you can add another later. A single card is more stable.

Guaranteed, whatever you buy today will be cheaper in February....some of the things you buy today will be outdated / replaced w/ better models in February. In general, the ATI cards are more efficient, the nVidia cards consume more power but generally deliver more fps than their ATI counterparts