Sign in with
Your question

Fast clicking/ticking noise?

Last response: in Components
May 2, 2011 8:24:37 PM

Hey everybody,
I recently rebuilt my PC (switched from X58 + 3x470 to P67 + 6950 2GB) and I've noticed a fast clicking or ticking sound coming from the PSU-area in the rear of my Raven.
It only occurs once I start playing a game, and it speeds up when under a heavier load and slows down when there is a lesser load. It immediately stops when I stop the games.

I'm using the same power supply (Corsair 950TX) that I did prior to switching, and I never got this noise before. There are no cables by the fan, because the PSU fan is mounted toward the outside. It is also not vibrating either; I opened my case and messed around with the fans and such while Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was running and confirmed these two.

While researching, I found a program called AIDA64 that could give me PSU diagnostics, so I gave it a try and this was my stress test result. Is it right? Can I trust this program?

If the image isn't working, the software is reporting:

Voltage - Min - Max - Avg
CPU core - 2.988 - 2.988 - 2.988
+3.3V - 5.904 - 5.904 - 5.904
+5V - 3.528 - 3.528 - 3.528
+12V - 4.393 - 4.443 - 4.430
(I think the 5 and 3.3 volt reading are swapped, but I can't confirm with another PSU)

My next question is should I RMA it? I find it odd the problem has started now after I switched from a 3 GPU setup to a 1 GPU setup.

Thanks in advance.
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2011 8:40:03 PM

Clicking always make think of three things
since that is a mechanical sound normally
1) a fan with bent blade or something blocking it as you thought
2) hard drive starting to fail
3) DVD drive failing

I hope it is not your hard drive but
I would download Speedfan (google-freeware-very popular)
and use the SMART test option along with online analysis

Do that just to be on the safe side

Also does clicking occur with side of case off?
You stated you opened case while computer under load (game)
so at that time was there clicking?

A used paper towel tube can act as a primitive stethoscope
so use that to isolate the sound

also try disconnecting your DVD drive to see if sound stops

also try disconnecting one by one any fans that you can inside the case
other than your CPU (if all fans other than CPU are disconnected along with
DVD drive that only leaves HD,PSU fan and CPU fan as moving parts)
m
l
May 2, 2011 8:53:11 PM

It's neither the DVD drives nor my HDDs, I can tell you that right off the bat. Here's my case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?...

The PSU is located to the right of the motherboard in the photo on the bottom of the page. The sound is most definitely coming from that region, and again I have confirmed that it is coming from that region only.

The PSU outtake is pointed upward, and when I stand over it the sound is clearer than if I'm on the side.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2011 8:54:22 PM

could the air exhaust from PSU fan be making something move
when side of case is on

does the sound happen with side of case off?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2011 8:57:45 PM

Looking at that picture if I have it right

does the PSU sit on that far bottom right fan?

are those wires from bottom right fan out of the way

possibly side of case rattling?

my piece of poop Dell does that sometimes :) 

You have a cool case. Nice taste.
m
l
May 2, 2011 8:58:20 PM

It happens with it both on and off. It's definitely within the PSU

Also, do the voltage readings seem reasonable or can we just assume the software is flawed for the moment?

I ran Kombustor in MSI Afterburner (generally stress the GPU to about 100%) and the sound was instantly audible and sounded more like a high-pitched tone rather than a clicking sound.
m
l
May 2, 2011 8:59:38 PM

king smp said:
Looking at that picture if I have it right

does the PSU sit on that far bottom right fan?

are those wires from bottom right fan out of the way

possibly side of case rattling?

my piece of poop Dell does that sometimes :) 

You have a cool case. Nice taste.

The PSU is top mounted, with the intake fan pointing toward the rear, the outtake pointing up, and the cables coming out from the bottom.

Thanks, I really do love my Raven.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2011 9:43:54 PM

something internal in PSU?
Possible RMA?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 2, 2011 9:50:33 PM

boiler1990 said:

Also, do the voltage readings seem reasonable or can we just assume the software is flawed for the moment?

Voltage - Min - Max - Avg
CPU core - 2.988 - 2.988 - 2.988
+3.3V - 5.904 - 5.904 - 5.904
+5V - 3.528 - 3.528 - 3.528
+12V - 4.393 - 4.443 - 4.430

I'm pretty certain that the software is flawed
m
l
May 2, 2011 10:21:16 PM

Yeah, I went through my BIOS and I was getting ~12.4V on the +12V rail.

Definitely going to RMA, but I'm going to wait until the next week or two (finals are this week and I'll be moving out and going back home next week). I at least need my computer up until Friday, but I'd like to play games when I get my downtime back. I'm afraid to blow the PSU, though then I have a serious reason to RMA :/ 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2011 11:58:24 PM

Quote:
Also to add to that. Try getting a black screen off of loading or something. For whatever reason mine would go CRAZY on a black screen. That was my previous one though. So maybe your RMA is worth it. Because mine doesn't specifically do it on load anymore. This one just gives me that sound randomly for a little bit in periods throughout the day.

did you have a corsair 950tx also?
wondering if it is a common problem with that model
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:38:26 AM

Quote:
Its probably just a coil or something somewhere. I've had the exact same problem when I switched my board out about a year ago. Started to do that. I got so frustrated with it that I RMAd the power supply for a fresh one.It was quieter for awhile but then eventually started doing it again. I've let it go for at least more than half a year and its really just an annoyance. I've done some research on it and nobody I found with this problem has had something blow from it. Its really just an annoying noise. Something with a PSU component not liking your board in some way. If you really want to be on the safe side I guess RMA it but if it comes back I wouldn't be afraid of it.

That's what I've read so far. I'm going to RMA it in a few weeks because I need to do some final projects this week, and can't afford to not have my computer. I just hope the sound isn't an indicator of something about to pop/fry/explode soon.
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:39:17 AM

king smp said:
did you have a corsair 950tx also?
wondering if it is a common problem with that model

I doubt it's an issue with the PSU model; Corsair makes some of the best power supplies out there, and their "bad" model is the 650TX or 750TX (can't remember).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 3, 2011 12:48:04 AM

Oh I definitely wasnt insulting Corsair!
Every company on the planet puts out a bad model once in awhile
I was just curious if it was the same model since that would be
an indicator of an issue
m
l
a c 78 ) Power supply
May 3, 2011 1:42:11 AM

Now that you mention it as a high pitched noise, it sound like coil buzz, this can be caused by many things. Video cards, motherboards cpu voltage regulation system.

Worst off is this noise somehow gets its way into the psu as well.

I am not saying power supplies do not have this issue either.

Most times it is not a failing item, just a vast vibration of the coils in the power system.

You mention X58, try to disable CIE and C3/C6/C7 State support.
Speedstep and windows will still clock the cpu down and all that good power saving stuff.

I know my X58A-UD5 Made a hell of a racket(with different loading) before I did that. and the sound DID get into the psu as well.

I also had a 8800GTX and X1900 both make lots of buzzing at different loads. Never did hear it until I moved my computer out of its Antec Sonata Case(that thing seemed to keep the sound from being heard, the Antec 900 lets all sounds out.)
m
l
May 3, 2011 1:45:07 AM

I used this previously on an X58 board but it didn't make that noise then.
m
l
a c 78 ) Power supply
May 3, 2011 1:53:12 AM

I say its worth trying I would say. Cant hurt.

What board is it?
m
l
May 3, 2011 2:23:46 AM

What's odd is that I don't remember doing this a few days ago. I'm going to go through and check my connections as well.
m
l
!