Major Graphical Glitches

Today I thought I would play some Black Ops, but when I got into the game I was met with ridiculous glitches at the menu. I was just wondering what would cause this (I suspect my graphics card is fried).

Picture from Blacks Ops single-player menu: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zf4w9h&s=7

Black Ops is the only game where it's this bad. The only other things I've noticed that's been acting weird today is in Civ 5, where newly-revealed land would flash yellow for a split second, and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter crashes after a little loading. All other games function as before (Overlord 2, Minecraft, Doom, etc.) Single-player Blacks Ops would also let me play, whereas multi-player would get a fatal error when I tried to join a server.

I have an 8800 GTS, only about 2 years old. My motherboard is even less at 1 year.

So does it seem like a fried graphics card, other failed hardware, or something different?
12 answers Last reply
More about major graphical glitches
  1. Looks like your card is about to kick the bucket. You can try and install the latest drivers (uninstall the old ones, reboot into a safe mode, run driver sweeper, reboot normally, install the new ones). See if it helps.
  2. Quote:
    Looks like your card is about to kick the bucket. You can try and install the latest drivers (uninstall the old ones, reboot into a safe mode, run driver sweeper, reboot normally, install the new ones). See if it helps.

I already have all the latest drivers =P. Was one of my first thoughts.
  3. Quote:
    Today I thought I would play some Black Ops, but when I got into the game I was met with ridiculous glitches at the menu. I was just wondering what would cause this (I suspect my graphics card is fried).

Picture from Blacks Ops single-player menu: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zf4w9h&s=7

Black Ops is the only game where it's this bad. The only other things I've noticed that's been acting weird today is in Civ 5, where newly-revealed land would flash yellow for a split second, and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter crashes after a little loading. All other games function as before (Overlord 2, Minecraft, Doom, etc.) Single-player Blacks Ops would also let me play, whereas multi-player would get a fatal error when I tried to join a server.

I have an 8800 GTS, only about 2 years old. My motherboard is even less at 1 year.

So does it seem like a fried graphics card, other failed hardware, or something different?

Ok, I just replaced my graphics card, and my computer still produces these effects. What else could be causing this?
  4. re-install black ops, this game is plagued with bugs, could try a steam reinstall too.
  5. It's not just BO (and I have re-installed it), it also affects Bad Company 2.
  6. been doing any OC'in?
  7. it can be your motherboard what motherboard u have and what processor
  8. if u can give full details about ur current system config,it'd b easier 4 us
  9. Quote:
    been doing any OC'in?

None to speak of, although my computer used to run super hot. Primarily the reason I thought my graphics card was fried.

Quote:
    it can be your motherboard what motherboard u have and what processor

Motherboard - DPPWB
    Processor - i5 750

Quote:
    if u can give full details about ur current system config,it'd b easier 4 us

Ok then what would you like to know?
  10. PSU,current GPU,RAM
  11. But as of now I'm suspecting that ur onboard video adapter(internal graphics chip) in the motherboard is damaged.If u take ur mobo to repairs,dis can be fixed.
    Note:-The internal graphics chip is always active.If u don't hav an xtra video card,it gives output directly.If u r usin an external video card thn the video output is first executed by inbuild graphics --> gets channelized by video card and quality improves --> givs output to monitor
    So if ur inbuild graphics is not workin properly,evn a new GPU won't help
  12. Quote:

Note:-The internal graphics chip is always active.If u don't hav an xtra video card,it gives output directly.If u r usin an external video card thn the video output is first executed by inbuild graphics --> gets channelized by video card and quality improves --> givs output to monitor
    So if ur inbuild graphics is not workin properly,evn a new GPU won't help

It might have been that. I have switched HDs and re-installed my OS as well as all other files that I needed. Problem is completely fixed, so whatever the problem was, it was completely software-related. Thanks for your's and everyone's help =).
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Games Graphics Cards Graphics