Sign in with
Your question

Help upgrading first build

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2011 6:55:48 PM

Hi first of all, let me thank everyone here for all the help. After over a year of planning and saving I have finnaly peiced to gether my first build, and I am completely addicted. right now I have this set up.

Monitor:
52 inch sharp LED HD TV @ 1080p

cpu
I7-950 @ stock speeds

memory:
12 Gb(6x2) Gskill @ 1333 9-9-9-24

mobo:
Gigabyte-x58A-ud3r

Optical
LG Blu-ray burner

HDD:
500Gb samsung

case:
thermal take armour +mx half

power suply:
750 antec eathwatts

Windows 7 64 bit

If any one has any settings I should change to get the most out of my rig, please post it, it would be greatly appreciated. I havent messed with the OS settings much and havent touched the registry or anything technical. I also am debating my next upgrade. I want to get an SSD for the OS and was confused about trim with raid and such. Running at 6gb/s I know there have been some speculatios that the chipset sucks. Is that true/proven, also would it be faster to run two say (Crucial ReAL SSD's) in raid 0 is trim still an issue (I cant find an up to date review). I am also having a problem playing blu rays. They are all jittery when I try to play using power DVD 8 (the free version that came with the lg bluray drive) do i need to register this? or is it a problem with my hardware? or do i need a different software alltogether. Thank you all so much again i appreciate it.

More about : upgrading build

February 3, 2011 10:38:11 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Storage to section Systems by Buwish
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2011 11:45:21 AM

Leif2006 said:
I am also having a problem playing blu rays. They are all jittery when I try to play using power DVD 8 (the free version that came with the lg bluray drive) do i need to register this? or is it a problem with my hardware? or do i need a different software alltogether.
PowerDVD is a great program but for Blu-Ray content you'll want the next verions -9- and it's updates or just get the newest edition
Definitely worth the price of the upgrade!

Is this a gaming rig?
You didnt mention what video card you have. Usually that's the first item that gets upgraded in a gaming system.
After that overclocking can give you the best performance increase. You can try a bit of RAM tweaking too. CAS8 should be fast and easy.
After you the GPU, CPU and RAM squared away like you want them you can think about upgrading your storage performance.
m
l
!