Planetary temperature drift

Do some planets still drift in temperature a degree or so every turn?*

If so, I vote this feature is disabled, because some races do not have
terraformers or climate control ships, and it is frustrating to see your
farm worlds stop churning out food; and the amount of micromanagement
required to calculate "I should build farms on this world, which will be
fertile in 5 turns, not this apparently-good one here" detracts from the
game's enjoyment.
--
Paul Honigmann

* I'm not sure, 'cos I have not played a race which didn't have climate control
for a while
5 answers Last reply
More about planetary temperature drift

    KlingonKommand wrote:
    > Do some planets still drift in temperature a degree or so every turn?*
    >
    > If so, I vote this feature is disabled, because some races do not have
    > terraformers or climate control ships, and it is frustrating to see your
    > farm worlds stop churning out food; and the amount of micromanagement
    > required to calculate "I should build farms on this world, which will be
    > fertile in 5 turns, not this apparently-good one here" detracts from the
    > game's enjoyment.

    Doesn't the planet climate converge to the temperature given by the heat
    received fromthe star?
    Easily calculateable then I'd say.
    (I might be wrong tho, still a newbie :)

    KlingonKommand wrote:
    > Do some planets still drift in temperature a degree or so every turn?*
    >
    > If so, I vote this feature is disabled, because some races do not have
    > terraformers or climate control ships, and it is frustrating to see your
    > farm worlds stop churning out food; and the amount of micromanagement
    > required to calculate "I should build farms on this world, which will be
    > fertile in 5 turns, not this apparently-good one here" detracts from the
    > game's enjoyment.

    Had the same problem as you describe, and Tim answered me:
    "If there is a hot star next to the planet it will heat it up".

    But From my observatins in other games in the past, the temperature goes
    up to around 4-6 over the "Heat received from Star" and then fluctuate
    around it with +-3 (maybe 4). And there was no other star nearby, the
    next star was around 50 LYs away.

    So in the past if the temp was important I add 5 to the heat to get the
    temprature in the long run.

    bye-Bye JoSch.

    I think I read somewhere a long time ago, that the HD Stress of the planet
    also adds a bit to the heat.

    Lordfire

    "nospam" <j_schwarze_@freenet.de> wrote in message
    > KlingonKommand wrote:
    >> Do some planets still drift in temperature a degree or so every turn?*
    >>
    >> If so, I vote this feature is disabled, because some races do not have
    >> terraformers or climate control ships, and it is frustrating to see your
    >> farm worlds stop churning out food; and the amount of micromanagement
    >> required to calculate "I should build farms on this world, which will be
    >> fertile in 5 turns, not this apparently-good one here" detracts from the
    >> game's enjoyment.
    >
    > Had the same problem as you describe, and Tim answered me:
    > "If there is a hot star next to the planet it will heat it up".
    >
    > But From my observatins in other games in the past, the temperature goes
    > up to around 4-6 over the "Heat received from Star" and then fluctuate
    > around it with +-3 (maybe 4). And there was no other star nearby, the next
    > star was around 50 LYs away.
    >
    > So in the past if the temp was important I add 5 to the heat to get the
    > temprature in the long run.
    >
    > bye-Bye JoSch.

    Yes, planets still change in temperature.

    Planet Drift by itself is fine. It's just that the person scripting the
    game needs to set the starting planet temperature to an approative
    temperature for the star type.

    The FEOLC series has featured this. (Combined with removal of the
    normal starting terraformers)

    Note the starting star heat can not be scripted.
    And HD stress may add heat as well.

Games Temperature Video Games