Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire vaporx 5770 wont post/ be found by asus formula iv,any ideas?

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2011 12:48:43 PM

ok so it is inserted correctly, did so twice.
the light is on, the fan is spinnning but when i go into the bios its no where to be seen. is there a specific place i need to look for it, specific tab??

and the only two things i can think of is that it is connected to the power supply straight, but i did get a cable with it that had a 6 pin for the graphics card and on the other end it was to be connected into the powersupply anyways,here is a pic of the cable

maybe i need to connect it directly to the motherboard somehow???

it is not connected to the internet yet so i have not been able to download the most recent drivers but would that fix the problem?

i have this asus software that lets you decide between high performance, power saving and another setting and it says vga card not detected.

would i need to change a setting in the bios to let it boot or recognise the card??

i can boot windows 7 64 bit no problem it works fine its just i cant play anything if this card isnt recognised /posted or whatever.
February 3, 2011 1:13:27 PM

Second, you may need to change a BIOS setting to have it use the video card as primary. You said ASUS software -- what motherboard?
Related resources
February 3, 2011 1:20:02 PM

Does mobo have an integrated GPU? If so, it must be disabled in bios first.

And go through that sticky to make sure you didn't make a dumb mistake, ie Oops, I forgot to attach the 6pins.
February 3, 2011 1:31:03 PM

It must have an integrated GPU, otherwise he wouldn't be able to get into windows with the card inserted, as he says. If he posts the motherboard model, we'll at least be able to direct him to the right area in BIOS to change.
February 3, 2011 1:32:02 PM

thanks for the replys,
the motherboard is an Asus ROG Formual IV

i assume it does have integrated graphics as it can run windows 7 fine

and how do i go about disabling the integrated graphics and set the dedicated one as primary??

i am going to read that post now thanks again.
February 3, 2011 1:49:45 PM

Still trying to find the setting in your BIOS, but you're looking for something like:
"Initiate Graphic Adapter" which should be set to "PEG" (pci express graphics) / "PCI"
February 3, 2011 1:53:43 PM

aardwolf said:
Still trying to find the setting in your BIOS, but you're looking for something like:
"Initiate Graphic Adapter" which should be set to "PEG" (pci express graphics) / "PCI"

thanks very much for the amount of effort your putting in to helping me, its my first build and it all ran fantastic first boot but i just realised that the graphics card wasnt posting, thanks again for you help it means so much. this is my spec anyway

phenom ii x4 965 black edition
asus forumula iv
corsair xms3 1600mhz ram pc3 12800
500 did hdd
windows 7 64 bit
sapphire 5770 1 gig vaporx
haf cooler master 922 case
February 3, 2011 1:54:39 PM

I notice that's an overclocking board -- have you been overclocking by any chance? If so, there's the potential that your PCIe frequency is set incorrectly.
February 3, 2011 1:57:10 PM

In BIOS:

Select "Advanced" tab from the top,
Select "Primary Display Adapter [PCI-E]"
Make sure that "PCI-E" is set to the default (I'm assuming your card is PCI-E here).

Also, if that does not work, try using a different slot for your card.
February 3, 2011 1:57:38 PM

no i havnt over clocked anything or changed any values at all. still afriad too untill i get adequate air cooling.

its litterally out of the box and put together.

there is something here in the bios called " repost video on S3 resume {no} and it determines whether to invoke to vga bios post on s3 / str resume, dont know what that means
February 3, 2011 2:01:26 PM

i also get two short beeps and the boot up, accordin to the manual it means either vga detected, no keyboard detected or quick boot disabled, its the first time i got two short beeps, and i just hit the clear cmos button there. what is the cmos do u know?
February 3, 2011 2:03:12 PM

"Repost video...It means if the video card should reboot or not when exiting from the S3 state." (from: http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=39065 )

S3 state is the low power mode. Think sleep mode. This won't be the cause of your issue if you're powering up from a cold boot.
February 3, 2011 2:05:11 PM

i have an advanced tab but there is no primary display adapter to click on,

only pciPnpP (plug and play) and thats set to no which lets the bios configure everything

February 3, 2011 2:06:19 PM

ill try a different slot but wont that effect performance considering it wont be the primary x16 slot??
February 3, 2011 2:27:08 PM

ive gone into the device manager and display adapters and there is a note saying this device is working =/

i dont understand why it wont show up in the EPU program which is what it calls itself a system power saving soloution. maybe the card works and it just isnt compatible with the program???
February 3, 2011 2:28:53 PM

It will at least narrow down the issue. If you can determine it's a bad slot, then at least you'll know what the problem is.

I'm sorry.. I missed a step in the manual...

Select "Chipset" <-- forgot this step!
Make sure that "PCI-E" is set to the default (I'm assuming your card is PCI-E here).
February 3, 2011 2:31:10 PM

As far as why it wouldn't show up in the EPU program, it's possible that a) you don't have the full drivers installed yet, b) the EPU program just doesn't know what to do with your model card.
February 3, 2011 2:33:08 PM

aardwolf said:
It will at least narrow down the issue. If you can determine it's a bad slot, then at least you'll know what the problem is.

I'm sorry.. I missed a step in the manual...

Select "Chipset" <-- forgot this step!

thanks allot =D i found the pci-e choice and its clicked :D 

hope you got my message up two or three boxes that the device manager says my 5700 series is working :D  and no other onboard vga were present so ill take that as a completion :D 

thank you very much for this help it was so helpfull, is their any way i can give points or something to boost your helpfull nature status or something???
February 3, 2011 2:40:35 PM

Thanks, but I don't think you can in a discussion... if you had posted as a question, you could pick me for "best answer".

I did see that you look like you're working now... glad to see it! Enjoy!
February 3, 2011 2:48:46 PM

apparently i just read because this is a discussion and not questions dominant or something there is no best answer button in the bottom corner where i have buttons =/ but just take confidence that you helped someone with a problem and their going to speak good about you and you are a great rep of what this forum is like =)
February 3, 2011 3:00:28 PM

Thanks; no problem. Just taking a cue from the great help I got with some oddball problems in my last build!
!