Sign in with
Your question

Another @bios failure, computer still on, any way to recover

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2012 11:36:50 AM

GA-K8NF-9, was on Bios revision1 or 2. Computer was in discard bin but decided to resurrect as file server. Installed Seagate 2TB SATA drive and BIOS only intermittently recognized so I tried BIOS update with the @BIOS, since PC doesn't have floppy drive.

Have run numerous times with various BIOS revisions and the flash fails at 50%. The computer is still running in Windows 7. Is there any other option for flashing the BIOS from within Windows 7, or any fix for the @BIOS?
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 11:56:12 AM

Next time be sure your new bios file will fix your problem. It could have been for another reason. Can't find a dual bios for your board, which gigabyte has for some models. Using windows or a dos bios flash program?
m
l
January 6, 2012 1:54:56 PM

Only used @BIOS in Windows. Are there any other applications out there that might run within Windows?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2012 3:36:07 PM

I finally gave up but before rebooting used the @BIOS to rewrite the original F2 release I had been running. It still crashed at the 50% point.

Miraculously or not, the CMOS did not fry and the computer still boots after repeated failed attempts at update with @BIOS.

I'm still open to suggestions on why it has trouble with the SATA drive, however.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 3:39:06 PM

I can only guess that there's a setting in the bios that needs to be changed, such as "boot block" or "virus protection". Windows firewall may also effect the flash, so I disable that also. If your sata drive isn't working or booting up properly, try connecting it after windows is running and see how it's displayed in the "system" properties. A bad drive will be displayed with only a white background, not highlighted like working devices. I clone my sata drives and this sometimes works when other methods fail. For maxtor and seagate drives, maxblast 5 is the program to use, and only one of the two drives used for cloning needs to be the right brand. Good luck.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 3:49:11 PM

Gigabyte does bios flash w/ USB flash drive. Try it.
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:05:53 PM

I will. Any advice on how to make a simple bootable DOS flash? My web searches only show how to make a bootable flash with windows installation files, those I don't need.
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:12:11 PM

When I put in an old 20G hard drive I had a running install of Windows 7. Windows could see and format the new drive, and even installed another copy onto the 2T drive. I could boot to it as long as the old drive is there. I haven't been able to remove the old HD and install Windows directly onto the 2T as a bootable drive. Even when the BIOS is recognizing the drive at bootup, the Windows 7 installation doesn't recognize it. Summing it it, I can't run it without the old drive in the case and operating as the boot drive.

So is it a BIOS problem or a Windows problem?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 4:15:13 PM

It's a windows problem. Use maxblast to prep the new 2 tb drive, and I'll bet it will install windows fine unless the drive is bad. I usually hear a clicking noise when a new drive is bad. Oem drives sometimes get damaged while handling since they don't have as much protection as the retail drives packed in a box.
m
l
January 6, 2012 9:07:53 PM

If you still want a go with the BIOS update, you'll find instructions here:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/8909-Make-A-bo...

There's a lot there, you'll only need the part which helps with creating the bootable DOS USB drive, then you have to copy your own bios file and bios updating utility, and that's it.
m
l
January 6, 2012 10:15:58 PM

If I understand it correctly, there's hope even in the case when the bios became corrupted, because a recovery method kicks in, and starts looking for the contents of the bios-package, which consists of the bios file, the bios utility and an autoexec.bat file. The good part is that according to some descriptions ( http://yorickdowne.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/recovering-... ) , it looks for these files not only on floppy disk drive, but on CD/DVD and USB drive too, and the disk/pendrive doesn't even have to be actually DOS-bootable (!?).
m
l
!