Dell510m can't use portable "cutie" harddrive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 3:28:03 AM

Hello,

My friends comes over with his portable harddrive- brandname is cutie. Its
slim, silver you get the picture.

However, it doesn't register with my Dell 510m. We plug in the USB cable but
it doesn't work. No USB click sound. Just nothing. blank.

My machine works and can talk with my Canon camera, Brother fax machine
etc.. but not with Cutie.

Any suggestions on how to get them to work together??

--
Regards,
Wilde

___________________________
Classic Humor
www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail117.html
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 3:28:04 AM

Wylie Wilde wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My friends comes over with his portable harddrive- brandname is cutie. Its
> slim, silver you get the picture.
>
> However, it doesn't register with my Dell 510m. We plug in the USB cable but
> it doesn't work. No USB click sound. Just nothing. blank.
>
> My machine works and can talk with my Canon camera, Brother fax machine
> etc.. but not with Cutie.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get them to work together??

An external power supply for the hard drive.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 3:28:04 AM

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 3:28:04 AM

> However, it doesn't register with my Dell 510m. We plug in the USB
cable but
> it doesn't work. No USB click sound. Just nothing. blank.

The hard drive isn't getting enough power. Either use an external PSU
(if the hard drive offers this as an option) or connect through a
powered USB hub.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 3:28:04 AM

"Wylie Wilde" <wylywylde.remove100bullets@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
news:D 14bfv$p4f$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg...
> Hello,
>
> My friends comes over with his portable harddrive- brandname is cutie. Its
> slim, silver you get the picture.
>
> However, it doesn't register with my Dell 510m. We plug in the USB cable
> but it doesn't work. No USB click sound. Just nothing. blank.
>
> My machine works and can talk with my Canon camera, Brother fax machine
> etc.. but not with Cutie.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get them to work together??
>

> --
> Regards,
> Wilde

Looking here http://www.exim21.com/computer/cutie-ex.php two things stand
out.

1.) "Simple installation. Just plug it in and load the driver once."

While XP does well with a large number of USB devices some still require
their own drivers.

2.) "Some PC or Mac system may not provide adequate power through the USB
port to power the external hard drive."

Consider a powered hub.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.