Sound card just died

jasoniesraven

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
I have a custom built comp thats 3 years old now. It's an asus p5k mobo and a realtek sound card on board. Orignally i had windows xp 32-bit installed and i just upgraded to windows 7 64-bit and reinstalled the realtek drivers which i had downloaded from the manufacturers website. My original cd for the drivers wouldn't install and there was 1 option in the old realtek controller program that i used often and wasn't able to do with the new controller. I was able to select the output line and assign it to send which ever signal I wanted (front spkr, side spkr, etc.) besides mic.

I was messing with the realtek controller trying to get what i wanted when everything was working fine. I kept switching the default playback device between my lcd tv and to a reciever/home theater system. Both which have their own power supply, so i don't think it burned up the card but its the only thing i can think of. I opened the driver info fron the realtek controller program and all of a sudden all sound coming from the backpanel 3.5mm jack's quit and i haven't tested the mic yet, but doubt that it works. Luckily I just installed a new graphics card that sends sound to the TV through the DVI to HDMI cable :) .

I have tried all i can think of to get it working again and no such luck. I uninstalled the driver and windows doesn't detect the back panel jacks. I reinstalled the driver and still no sound. Well When I pull up the playback devices i can see the speaker but it says that there is nothing plugged into the jack when there is something there. A friend said to go into bios and select the card and disable it then restart and enable it. I tried that and I changed the format of the sound from HD to AC'97 and still no such luck.

Im sure i burned my sound card. any advise or would u just recommend a new sound card? I have been researching them and found some decently priced ones on amazon for $25. My other question is, would you recommend any cards that aren't too expensive, have mic input, and is a high quality sound card really worth it?

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, I have not been able to tell a significant difference between the on-board audio and any add-on sound cards. The sound is encoded the same way, and honestly I could not tell the difference. Now, if you are using this system for hi-fi purposes, you might be able to notice some difference; it's all "in the eye of the beholder" (or should i say ear).

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Buy a sound card and install it. Onboard sound is unreliable and always a pain in the rump. I have used Creative Sound Blaster cards for many many years. They work great for general listening/gaming/movies.y

jasoniesraven

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
ya. I am gonna do that now. Thx for the response. Its been a headache and why it quit beats me

yes onboard sound is unreliable as i have come to find out, I'll check out a sound blaster card