ATI Radeon Moblity HD 4650

Hello. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4650 installed in my Dell Studio 17.

I need to know if this card is capable of running two external independent displays in addition to the laptop display. I have a HDMI output and a VGA output. What would I need in order to run two external monitors. I have tried one monitor on HDMI (w/ HDMI to DVI cable) and another on VGA but I have had no luck.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about radeon moblity 4650
  1. Are you trying to run them like an Eyefinity setup or all displaying the same thing?
    Here are the Specifications of the 4650 straight from Ati's website...
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/ati-mobility-hd-4000/hd-4600/Pages/hd-4600-specs.aspx
  2. Thanks for the reply purple stank. I am fairly computer-tech-illiterate. I read the specs before posting the question. I saw where it says "Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display".

I do not know if that means it can drive two external displays + the laptop display or if 2 display would include the laptop.

I am not sure what an Eyefinity setup is, but to be clear I need two external moniitors and the laptop monitor to all be an extended desktop and not just a mirror of each other.
  3. I do not think it is possible for your card to do what your asking of it...if you read here it will tell you everything oyur card can do/can't...
    Two independent display controllers
    Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display
    Full 30-bit display processing
    Programmable piecewise linear gamma correction, color correction, and color space conversion
    Spatial/temporal dithering provides 30-bit color quality on 24-bit and 18-bit displays
    High quality pre- and post-scaling engines, with underscan support for all display outputs
    Content-adaptive de-flicker filtering for interlaced displays
    Fast, glitch-free mode switching
    Hardware cursor
    One integrated LVDS display output
    Integrated LVDS display outputs for embedded panels
    Supports 18- and 24-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (Dual-Channel LVDS)
    Two integrated DVI display outputs
    Supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2
    Supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)2
    Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content3
    One integrated 400MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
    Supporting analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x15361
    DisplayPort™ output support
    Supports 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
    Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 kHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4
    HDMI output support
    Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x10802
    Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 kHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4
  4. OR maybe it would work if you had a splitter,but this is just a guess...you see you need more than 1 connection for a dvi/vga to make it work and this card only has 1 of each.Have you tryed going with a VGA to DVI connector?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon ATI Graphics