ATI Radeon Moblity HD 4650

jamesbahn

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hello. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4650 installed in my Dell Studio 17.

I need to know if this card is capable of running two external independent displays in addition to the laptop display. I have a HDMI output and a VGA output. What would I need in order to run two external monitors. I have tried one monitor on HDMI (w/ HDMI to DVI cable) and another on VGA but I have had no luck.

Thanks.

jamesbahn

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply purple stank. I am fairly computer-tech-illiterate. I read the specs before posting the question. I saw where it says "Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display".

I do not know if that means it can drive two external displays + the laptop display or if 2 display would include the laptop.

I am not sure what an Eyefinity setup is, but to be clear I need two external moniitors and the laptop monitor to all be an extended desktop and not just a mirror of each other.

I do not think it is possible for your card to do what your asking of it...if you read here it will tell you everything oyur card can do/can't...
Two independent display controllers
Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display
Full 30-bit display processing
Programmable piecewise linear gamma correction, color correction, and color space conversion
Spatial/temporal dithering provides 30-bit color quality on 24-bit and 18-bit displays
High quality pre- and post-scaling engines, with underscan support for all display outputs
Content-adaptive de-flicker filtering for interlaced displays
Fast, glitch-free mode switching
Hardware cursor
One integrated LVDS display output
Integrated LVDS display outputs for embedded panels
Supports 18- and 24-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (Dual-Channel LVDS)
Two integrated DVI display outputs
Supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2
Supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)2
Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage for high resolution playback of protected content3
One integrated 400MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
Supporting analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions up to 2048x15361
DisplayPort™ output support
Supports 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 kHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4
HDMI output support
Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x10802
Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 kHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution4