Gaming build (loosing my mind)

chaosxspirit

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
So after going through tons and tons and tons of benchmarks and compatibilities and forums and prices and utube videos and BLAH for about 2 weeks now, I've decided to go ahead and ask you guys.

What I want is a gaming rig that will handle games like Crysis2 Battlefield BC2 METRO and any high end game basically. What I don't want to do is end up getting something that falls short price wise or performance wise.

I'm trying to keep it around $700-800 tops, and here is what I have on my mind atm:

(2x 6850's) or (2x gtx 460's)
gaming case
2x 4gb ram = 8gb
320 gb hd
power supply
dvd drive
total: $500 approx.

I got the above covered.

What I need help with is the freakin cpu. After going through all the numbers and what not I'm still unsure what I need. Ive had my eyes on the amd x4's since there around $100 and with a 2x pci express 2.0 MOBO it would be around $200 fitting in my price range. But will the amd x4's handle my needs or wants. I figure that dual graphics cards will fuel my gaming needs for the most part but I just dont know what cpu to pair with the gcards that'll feed my performance need and not eat my pocket.

So in a nutshell I need help choosing a $100ish cpu to game on with dual GPU's.
PSU recommendations are welcome aswell.

And in advance I really appreciate any help as my mind is going on meltdown here.

deltadevil

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
The Phenom x4s are great price/performance and will do great in all the listed games. Metro and crysis are far from CPU dependant, they tend to stress the GPUs and not the CPUs. Battlefield bad company 2 is more CPU dependant, however, these benchmarks from techspot (using a core i7 and underclocking it) suggest to me that you will not need too powerful of a CPU to achieve high framerates http://www.techspot.com/article/255-battlefield-bad-company2-performance/page7.html, and I would except at least 60fps with your phenom x4.

The vast majority of games will run 60fps. A few will run at less then 60 fps like starcraft 2 and GTAIV, and if you set those games up for failure enough (4v4 with bots, or high traffic + view distance) you can get them below 40fps average. It's really nothing major though.