Sign in with
Your question

AMD CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2011 5:08:30 AM

what is the advantage of AMD CPU. I want to buy a AMD CPU please suggest to me.

More about : amd cpu

a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 5:20:58 AM

they are like any other cpu, however they cant stand clock to clock against intel sandy bridge lga 1155.If you want an AMD cpu and dont want to overclock go for the phenom II X4 965.Has a stock clock of 3.4ghz.or the phenom II X4 975 which is stocked at 3.6ghz.
m
l
May 3, 2011 5:22:18 AM

Please budget and purpose at a minimum. Motherboard, case, video, power supply? ram?
ASSuming AM3 DDR3 motherboard Athlon ii X3 445or PHENOM ii X2 560 depending
After depending Athlon II X4 645 or Phenom II X4 840 or Phenom II X4 955.
Video editing/rendering six core 1055T or better.
The performance for the price.
Though Intel I3 2100 is on par with AMD 955-975 CPUs.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2011 5:28:47 AM

Its cheaper than Intel's for roughly the same performance. This is arguable. AMD supposedly overcloaks better, but I dont think so. The difference between the two brands is technical stuff, but for the average user this should not be a deciding factor. I personaly think both brands are extremely good and reliable, it comes down on what your going to do with it. Price per performance ratio should be the factor. If AMD is what you want then wait till AMD releases Bulldozer this summer. Right now your better off with Intel's Sandy Bridge. For gaming oriented only, AMD is king because is cheap and you can spend more on a GPU. For everything else, Intel.
m
l
May 3, 2011 5:35:06 AM

the amd is much cheaper than intel but it is not good performer than intel because of lack of turbo boost and hyper threading.the performance of laptop verson of phenom ll x4 is barely compareable with desktop version of athlon ll x4
m
l
May 3, 2011 5:36:17 AM

walterm said:
Please budget and purpose at a minimum. Motherboard, case, video, power supply? ram?
ASSuming AM3 DDR3 motherboard Athlon ii X3 445or PHENOM ii X2 560 depending
After depending Athlon II X4 645 or Phenom II X4 840 or Phenom II X4 955.
Video editing/rendering six core 1055T or better.
The performance for the price.
Though Intel I3 2100 is on par with AMD 955-975 CPUs.

my purpose is Rendering and Video editing, no issue on budget please suggest best AMD based PC configuration .
m
l
May 3, 2011 5:48:20 AM

maverick knight said:
Its cheaper than Intel's for roughly the same performance. This is arguable. AMD supposedly overcloaks better, but I dont think so. The difference between the two brands is technical stuff, but for the average user this should not be a deciding factor. I personaly think both brands are extremely good and reliable, it comes down on what your going to do with it. Price per performance ratio should be the factor. If AMD is what you want then wait till AMD releases Bulldozer this summer. Right now your better off with Intel's Sandy Bridge. For gaming oriented only, AMD is king because is cheap and you can spend more on a GPU. For everything else, Intel.

thanks, but i don't know... about Bulldozer performance and is costly?
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 3, 2011 6:08:05 AM

if budget isnt an issue then get an intel part.
you will be deliberately buying lesser parts for no good reason other than brand loyalty which in itself is a joke. if you want/need performance then intel are just so far ahead its not even funny anymore. this isnt a fanboy boast its a harsh reality.

if you do choose to be loyal to the brand then buy a gpu from them as performance is pretty even but the amd processor is a full generation behind intel.
price to performance is no longer relevant as intel have cheap parts that will outperform amd parts of the same price.

if you were upgrading then yeah i would say buy amd, but your not, your getting a whole new setup. you will literally be wasting your money buying an amd phenom2 based system. the reason i say this is that if your not just gaming the intel parts will often be x2 faster at things like dvd encoding and rendering.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html just take a look at this and look where the first amd parts are. this is why i say go intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:31:22 PM

I say, wait, for Bulldozer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:32:39 PM

HEXiT said:
if budget isnt an issue then get an intel part.
you will be deliberately buying lesser parts for no good reason other than brand loyalty which in itself is a joke. if you want/need performance then intel are just so far ahead its not even funny anymore. this isnt a fanboy boast its a harsh reality.

if you do choose to be loyal to the brand then buy a gpu from them as performance is pretty even but the amd processor is a full generation behind intel.
price to performance is no longer relevant as intel have cheap parts that will outperform amd parts of the same price.

if you were upgrading then yeah i would say buy amd, but your not, your getting a whole new setup. you will literally be wasting your money buying an amd phenom2 based system. the reason i say this is that if your not just gaming the intel parts will often be x2 faster at things like dvd encoding and rendering.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html just take a look at this and look where the first amd parts are. this is why i say go intel.

I would definitely agree with HEX.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2011 6:22:59 AM

^I'm all for supporting your team, and I would be willing to go with AMD right now if it meant giving up 5 or 10% performance, but the situation is a lot worse than that for AMD right now. Bulldozer may (hopefully) change that but if budget is not a concern, than I will assume it is for a business need-and waiting a few months is likely not an option. In that case the 990X is worth a glance at but something in the xeon line may be a better match for you.
m
l
May 10, 2011 7:43:56 PM

What are you planning to use for video card or cards?
Intel Sandy Bridge only supports PCIx16 and PCIe x4 or X8 AND X8? on chip. If you are using more than one video card video editing and rendering can use more PCIe lanes. I don't KNOW but this sugguests the Intel 1366 I7.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
May 10, 2011 7:58:14 PM

walterm said:
What are you planning to use for video card or cards?
Intel Sandy Bridge only supports PCIx16 and PCIe x4 or X8 AND X8? on chip. If you are using more than one video card video editing and rendering can use more PCIe lanes. I don't KNOW but this sugguests the Intel 1366 I7.

Video editing and rendering are still very much CPU centric works.. Having multiple video cards will not aid into any performance benefits..

@OP : What level of rendering and video editing are we talking about here and which software(s) is in implementation..? Since you've no budget limitations and if you work demands it, you can always set up a multi processor workstation.. If your demands are not so high then get yourself an i7 2600k configuration.. They have plenty raw power at a very decent price (wrt the performance)..
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2011 8:26:22 PM

As you stated you have no budget limitations and want the system for editing and rendering.
Personally i am an AMD fanatic, black edition cpu's overclock easily with little effort.
My 955 black edition is deliver with a clock speed of 3,2Ghz, with just a simple multiplier change it is running smoothly on 3,8Ghz with still a fairly simple cooler (cm hyper 212+ with single fan) and rather low temperature's.

But in this case seeing the current cpu's and capability's i have to agree with the others, intel is the way to go.
We all still don't know what bulldozer is going to do, so you could wait for that.
If the system is needed at this point then go for intel, they simply pack more raw power then amd at this stage witch you need for your purposes.
m
l
!