GTX470 installation causes sound problem in FSX

Rob15

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
The external aircraft audible sound in Microsoft FSX was lost in many aircraft models after replacing a GTX275 card with the installation of a new ASUS nVidia GTX470 graphics card and the updated nvidia graphics driver 260.99.
The internal audible sound is not affected in all aircraft but the external sound is affected in some default and some addon aircraft models.
No aircraft are similarly affected in Microsoft FS2004.
My system is:
ASUS P5Q-PRO Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad 3.0 GHz Q9650 CPU 1333FS
Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G DRAM Module
GTX470 Graphic Card
Samsung 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA2Hard Drive
Casecom 720W Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Can anyone help with a solution to fix this problem in FSX which previously didn't exist when the GTX275 graphics card was installed?
Rob15

Solution
Go to Asus's website and search for your Motherboard in the Support/downloads section. Download the latest audio driver. Then you just have to run the installer. If it works like my Realteks usually do, it will uninstall the old driver, make you reboot, then you run the installer again and it will install (and then possibly another reboot).

Rob15

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks EXT64, No I haven't done anything myself as the new card was installed by the Computer shop technicians when I purchased the card as I'm not technically competent for hardware changes.
I'm not sure about how to reinstall the sound drivers but would like to try it. My sound system is a Realtek High Definition Audio vs1.0.0.31.
Can you suggest where to start?

Go to Asus's website and search for your Motherboard in the Support/downloads section. Download the latest audio driver. Then you just have to run the installer. If it works like my Realteks usually do, it will uninstall the old driver, make you reboot, then you run the installer again and it will install (and then possibly another reboot).

Solution

Rob15

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Thanks EXT64, you've helped guide me to fixing the problem.
I found that the aircraft sound worked when two stereo speakers were selected but the problem occurred with the 6 speaker (5.1) selection as two of the speaker channels did not function even though all the sound plug connections were ok.
That apparently prevented normal sound from being heard in certain fsx aircraft models.
After disabling the four Nvidia HD Audio driver references in the Harware device manager and then uninstalling and reinstaling the Realtek driver as well as unplugging and replacing the three coloured sound plugs the 6 channel speakers worked normally and so now the aircraft sounds are all back to normal.
Thanks again for your helpful advice.
Rob15

Rob15

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Re the GTX470 in FSX, works well with good frame rates maintained for most scenery. I set the frame rate at unlimited (recommended for the ORBX scenery addons) and this seems better than set at a particular limit.