Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns off automatically, I need help

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2011 6:35:08 PM

Spec: 2500K, asrock extreme 4 p67, 2x4GB ripjaw x, Gigabyte 6850, Raven 2 case

Story : as soon as I built my pc and turned it on, power was on for 3 sec, and it went off. So basically, during the 3 sec, I saw fans running, and all lights on. After 3 sec, all lights and fans were off EXCEPT power, reset button of motherboard. These still had red lights on as if power was still flowing thru the motherboard.

After removing motherboard from the case, it magically worked and didn't have any power problem.

So I put it back into my raven 2 case and used it for a week without any problems.

Today, I had the exact same problem again. My monitor said windows is shutting off and it automatically shuts itself after closing all the programs I was using.

No matter what I did, power went off 3sec after each time i press power button.

I remembered that i was able to fix the problem by removing it from the case so I did that and guess what, it's working fine again.

Question: Do you think there is a problem with my raven 2 case? is it even possible that the case is causing this? Do you suspect any other problems?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 6:43:38 PM

Section 3 should get you on the right track mate :) 
sounds like you may be shorting somewhere, could be something else though, run through the checklist and post back what you find.
Moto
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 108 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 6:46:43 PM

I have a question for you. When you breadboard (out of case build), do you have the power button connected, or were you jumping the PWR_SW pins?
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2011 6:51:50 PM

when I breadboard, out of case build, all i do is moving motherboard+cpu+gpu+ram connected all together even with the power supply. everything else disconnected. Why? Do you think it's Power switch pin cable problem?

edit: Let me be more specific.

1. I switched power off on PSU.
2. unscrewed motherboard from case.
3. disconnected all cables between case and motherboard such as case fans, power switch cable, reset cable, USB cable, HD audio, HDD LED cable...etc.
4. i didn't unplug power cable from any of the hardwares. This means that even though HDD, ODD, case fans were not connected to motherboard when motherboard was not inside the case, they were still running when i turned power on.
5. I just put the motherboard back in with everything connected and it's working fine. But this happened to me when I first built my computer about a week ago so I don't know when it will have the problem of turning off.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 108 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 7:00:27 PM

If you didn't have the power button connected while breadboarding, the problem could be in the power button. You did mention that while rig is put together inside the case, Windows shuts down and you see the associated message, as if you pressed the power button to shut down, instead of using the Start menu.

Put the rig back together inside the case, but leave the power button disconnected. Jump the power switch pins to turn on the system. Monitor it. If the problem persists, the button wasn't the problem.
m
l
February 3, 2011 7:06:59 PM

T_T said:
If you didn't have the power button connected while breadboarding, the problem could be in the power button. You did mention that while rig is put together inside the case, Windows shuts down and you see the associated message, as if you pressed the power button to shut down, instead of using the Start menu.

Put the rig back together inside the case, but leave the power button disconnected. Jump the power switch pins to turn on the system. Monitor it. If the problem persists, the button wasn't the problem.

You really have a point. When windows shuts off with the associated message, that means power didn't just disappear. It usually appears when we press power button, yeah I agree, I know about this!

I have my rig back together now but I didn't see ur msg so actually the power button switch pin cable is already connected and there is no problem at this point. My pc has been on for last 20 min and it's not going off so far.

BUT! this problem happened to me 1 week ago, it worked fine for a week and it happened again. So I don't know if I am ok for another week and this problem will come back in 1 week. If power switch cable is the problem, why was it ok for 1 week and why is it ok after I breadboard and connected again?

If this problem happens again, maybe i will breadboard WITH power switch cable still connected and see what happens. But at this point, I don't know what else to suspect. It's not l like my PSU died cuz it's currently working fine and i had the same problem 1 week ago when i first built it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 108 V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 7:28:45 PM

Well, the funny thing about electrical components is that they can have intermittent shorts or intermittent opens. Just monitor it for now, but if the problem happens again, just disconnect the power button cable from the mobo. Testing the power button while it is breadboarded will give you the same result. Breadboarding is used to determine if the mobo is being shorted by the case, or something connected to it, rather; usually loose screws or standoffs.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2011 7:38:35 PM

Easy way. Wire your reset switch to act as power button, if problem stops, it had to have been power button.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2011 8:03:59 PM

Tie up all lose cables. Make sure your standoffs are in the right holes. If you're using the brass standoffs, make sure they are under the holes with the metal soldering around the hole.
m
l
!